Trolling with Inlines Trolling with Inlines Trolling with Inlines Trolling with Inlines

Default Trolling with Inlines

Good Morning all!

I run a 25' sport and just made the investment in all the trolling gear. Went out with a friend on Friday and we caught 8 nice fish. I have more questions than answers at this point. Since I am 2 hours from the lake, I was wondering if you all knew of some good articles I could read that would help me learn a little quicker? I figured that trying to find answers in some good articles would be better than listing my questions here as I have about 1000 questions! LOL

Thank you!

Not sure about articles, but I learned a bunch by watching YouTube videos. It really helped getting the visual aspect of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    Good Morning all!

made the investment in all the trolling gear.
    Fully understand, Could you list some of the gear you've purchased? This will help narrow down what type of program you intend on running.

Here's a few sites I have found helpful:
    http://www.fomsportfishing.com

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com
    20' Sea Ray

Default Read this book!

Read this book. "Walleye Trolling" by Pro fisherman
    Ross Robertson. Good stuff.

Default gear

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    Fully understand, Could you list some of the gear you've purchased? This will help narrow down what type of program you intend on running.

Here's a few sites I have found helpful:
    http://www.fomsportfishing.com

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com
    Ok, here goes. I am running 6 Church TX-22's with tattle flags. The rods are Accudepth, 8'6" medium with 10LB PLine Mono. Reels are Daiwa Accudepth 27's. On friday, we ran crawler harnesses on 2oz inline weights. We ran the harnesses 30' - 35' back at 1.5 and caught some nice fish.

I understand pulling harnesses, that's pretty straight forward. One part I am wondering about it pulling crank baits? Do you just run cranks without inline weights? What about those Tadpoles I am seeing from Off Shore tackle? Are any of you running those?

I have to admit, inlines aren’t my thing (yet). I bought two in the spring to mess around with but haven’t been able to make them productive. I will follow your thread closely I too would like to know more about inlines.
    I fish the Central basin mostly; Dipsy’s and downriggers has been our program. Not sure what depth you’re fishing but we target 45 to 65 frequently.
    20' Sea Ray

Ok, here goes. I am running 6 Church TX-22's with tattle flags. The rods are Accudepth, 8'6" medium with 10LB PLine Mono. Reels are Daiwa Accudepth 27's. On friday, we ran crawler harnesses on 2oz inline weights. We ran the harnesses 30' - 35' back at 1.5 and caught some nice fish.

I understand pulling harnesses, that's pretty straight forward. One part I am wondering about it pulling crank baits? Do you just run cranks without inline weights? What about those Tadpoles I am seeing from Off Shore tackle? Are any of you running those?
    This summer was me and my uncle's first time trolling we were in his crestliner. We used 4 church walleye boards. I thought we had a lot of success for first timers much of the credit goes to a few people on this board helping us and YouTube. Your set up sounds about the same as what we were using, we used a lot of harnesses, spoon harnesses, and scorpion spoons... I worked the four boards most of the time and a few things I had to get used to was 1. Getting enough slack between the two clips to make the tattle flag work properly 2. Making sure the boards were out and far enough away from each other. Multiple times when we first started a white bass or white perch would hit and swim the lure into the other line if they were not far enough apart, at one point i gave myself the nickname "the untangler". We did pull some reef runners behind our boards and we did not use inline with them because we were only targeting around 20 ft of water. Hope this helps a little

Adding weights to cranks is a common thing. I think snap weights are more common on cranks. Some guys add weights to get the crank deeper then crank normally dives, or some people add weight to alleviate letting so much line out to get the crank to dive to a desired depth. Just look at a Reef runner deep diver for example. You say your using 10lb mono, you would have to let out 150ft of line to get it to dive to 26ft, you could add a snap weight to cut down the amount of line you have to let out to get to that 26ft. IF I remember correctly you could add a 1oz snap weight 20ft in front of that and only have to let out about 80ft of line to get to that 26ft. Theres a lot of formulas out there to use just do a search on google (adding snap weights to cranks) and there are also dive charts on offshore tackles website for there snap weight system. Theres a FAQ on there also that has a lot of good info.
    Last edited by Firetiger; 08-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Like mentioned many times on this and other boards, both of you go out with someone who knows trolling, you will learn more in one day than you can experiment and learn in many years of trial. There is lots and lots of great info if you do a search on this and other web sites. If you want a few articles that might help, these are old and I have updated them but this site won't post anything I write anymore since I haven't been a member for a long time. I never charged for my articles so I just don't get why they won't let me update them or post some new articles. But anyways, If you find things you have questions on just PM me and I will help the best I can.
    http://www.dwfonline.org/articles.htm
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.