Speed help? Speed help? Speed help? Speed help?

Thread: Speed help?

Default Speed help?

I have a 26 carver express and its only got an 8 foot beam, I'm having a hard time keeping it slow enough to troll at a nice speed even with bags, the boat will do 2.0mph all day long without having to fight with the bags but is that to fast for 40 jets and spoons or size 3dipsy's and harnesses? Rods are okuma cold waters rigged with 20lb braid and i use 6ft 100% floro leaders. Is that an ok setup? Im really new to trolling lake erie and the boat is new for me to, so im trying to dial it in, i usually try and hit 25-30fow over by west reef or north east of kellys but im only pulling one or two walleye all day when we go out, im not asking for hotspots or anything like that but anybody have suggestions about the speed, or speed/lure combo, or am i just that bad of luck? I even tried boards but that was a tangled disaster!

Default speed

hi 2.0 mph is our target speed most of the year, early spring you want to be a little slower. sounds like your on the right track ,once you fig out all the other variables you'll pull in lots of walleye .good luck to you were heading out for some perch

summer fishing I like to run 1.8 to 2.0 so I don't think speed is your problem. I would just guess your not in fish or you need to work on depth. vary your presentation until you start getting fish then move all lines to where your getting fish. try shortening or lengthening your leads until your getting fish. learn how deep your lures are running then try to fish just above where your marking fish on your fish finder.

if you plan on trolling earlier in the year your going to need to slow down a little. so you might want to go ahead and invest in a larger set of bags. I have a 21 ft boat and with the bags im using I have to run about 900 rpm,s to go 2.0 mph so I could run much slower as my engine idles at 600 rpm,s. I lucked out on my bags as I found them in the middle of the road and decided to try them and they just turned out to be the right size. I have been using the easy troller trolling plate until this year.
    sherman

I agree with Sherman, it is most likely you are not getting to the proper depth. I will ad that it is a good idea to check your line counter reels to make sure they are all reading 100f ft when you measure 100 ft out and actually tape it. Get all of your lines reading consistent, very your leads back until you find them and set them to that depth. If you go to where the fish are and follow these suggestions, you are sure to increase your catch rate.

I would also encourage you to use boards. I use inline boards and they have helped put a lot more walleye in the boat for me. Maybe try less boards out until you get the hang of it and add more when you are comfortable with them.

Good luck!

Smile trolling

First I would suggest you get a trolling book that show all your depths , speed, and line test, second I would look into bigger bags, the bait barn has great selection and good prices, speed
    we run 2.0 in spring, summer 2.2 to 2.65 with spoons, crank baits we run up to 3.0, harness are a bit slower, boards small ones work, if you go to big boards your looking at great expensie. Try inline wieghts with harness, working great inclose
    in shallow water right now. spoon colors jagar bomb, purple demon, helment, citrus. main colors 40 jets we been running on avg. 45 to 65 back. on 30 lb power pro, with ten foot leaders, just stay above the fish,
    hope this helps The Reel Sport Team.
    Last edited by wayne johnson; 08-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.