Depth finder advise Depth finder advise Depth finder advise Depth finder advise
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth finder advise

I have an old hummingbird that I a going to upgrade. I am looking at ether a lowrance elite 5 or an elite 7 with down scan. From you experienced on the lake which would you recommend.both are quid expensive I don't want to go wrong.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Elite 5 DSI unit. Believe me when I say it's not all its cracked up to be. I haven't had one image displayed like I had imagined.
    I don't know if there are other options but the cone angle on the transducer is very narrow too. I think I could have found a different unit to spend that much money on.
    Anyone else have thoughts ?
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    I have an old hummingbird that I a going to upgrade. I am looking at ether a lowrance elite 5 or an elite 7 with down scan. From you experienced on the lake which would you recommend.both are quid expensive I don't want to go wrong.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss928 View Post
    I use an Elite 5 DSI unit. Believe me when I say it's not all its cracked up to be. I haven't had one image displayed like I had imagined.
    I don't know if there are other options but the cone angle on the transducer is very narrow too. I think I could have found a different unit to spend that much money on.
    Anyone else have thoughts ?
    i am in the same boat so to speak as my latest and greatest hummingbird of 12 years ago recently gave up the ghost
    i have done a lot of research and saw the new dragonfly at west m. and was not impressed at all....too cumbersome to work the controls and very small screen
    i was also looking at the lowrance 7" screen and thought it better but after Hoss's post, don't know what to use
    oh well, i was waiting till this winter when the boat is out and have a lot of time to ponder it.....will stay posted to this thread.....good luck....

Post Thanks / Like

For a budget under a thousand the hds 7 with insight is a great choice. I can run spilt screen with no problem, shows great marks, great display. Sure I'd love to have an hds 12... but

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    For a budget under a thousand the hds 7 with insight is a great choice. I can run spilt screen with no problem, shows great marks, great display. Sure I'd love to have an hds 12... but
    In hindsight, I think I'd have rather gone with an HDS unit.
    Walleye2go, do you know what the cone diameter is at 30ft with the included transducer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dsi

I use to run a DSI unit. Now I run a HDS 10 without DSI and I love it. In my opinion you do not need Down Scan Imaging for open water trolling. I think the HDS 7 would be great for Erie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies I will continue monitoring this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default map chip

i have a hds 7 and hds5 great units. i would not get the insight on eny unit save the money and buy a good map chip they have better detail.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the Furuno is above and beyond the Lorance products. I have had both. I run the Furuno fish finder with an Airmar p66 transducer along side a Lorance HDS7 chartplotter. I can mark fish while running on plane. I think a lot of people overlook the transducer and that is the key element. Most units come with cheap ducers that don't measure up to the potential of the unit.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Wes. I'm not familiar with the Furuno fish finder. I've only ever used Lowrance products. I could see where it wouldn't take much to beat the fish finder. I do like the chart plotter/GPS part of the unit though.
    I do need to learn more about transducers myself to see if I can get more out if the unit I have though.