Steelhead Slaughter!!!!! Steelhead Slaughter!!!!! Steelhead Slaughter!!!!! Steelhead Slaughter!!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Steelhead Slaughter!!!!!

I had the pleasure of boating with a fellow board member. Captain Keith (Whit's Whaler). We travelled across the lake to Wheatley on the 12th and picked up his dad and began fishing around 7 pm. We went 5 for 7 that evening with a nice bonus walleye. Not bad for a couple of hours of work.

We returned around 8am Sunday the 13th. Things were still good. Our hook to catch ratio was around 500%. In baseball that's great, but not so hot in fishing. The conditions were a little lumpy and the fish were very very aggressive. We had some broken lines and a few SNAFUs but ended up 11 of 21 on Sunday with another bonus eye. Very solid numbers on the day.

Conditions: Sat-Flat with clear skies; Sunday- mostly clear skies with a good chop.... Hot lures-Watermelon, orange crush, silver blue green irridescent.....method-size 1 dipsey with ring 35 back, no ring 75 back; 1 oz weight 100 back from a yellow bird.........Very little action on the riggers..... 1 fish on leadcore.

Learning curve- No less than 20 lb leader material; don't cut the line in the knot with the fish on it. That's right, the captain cut the line with a 12 pounder on it to see if his pop could hand over hand it in and he did. Those stories of his dad being a kid and couldn't afford a rod and reel must have been true;

Whit's Whaler Guest

Default Wheatley

I had a great time fishing with two new friends Greg (aka Spoontang) and his buddy Rick. I appreciate you guys showing me a new area. As far as my dad goes, he's always looking for a challenge so cutting the line on that big ole steelie was right up his alley. I don't know if I said he couldn't afford a fishing pole growing up or he was born before fishing poles were invented.

Thanks again for a great trip. I promise I'll bring heavier line next time for those monsters across the lake.

Captain Keith - Whit's Whaler

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I embelished alittle bit. I think it was me that made the comments about dad and the pole but it was some funny S*#@. Rick and I can't wait to do it again. The walleye will soon be thick in there and double limits will follow.

Whit's Whaler Guest

Default Ready

I'm ready when you guys are.......

No fishing for me this weekend, I can feel the withdrawl symptoms starting already.......

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance of you being able to do it on Wednesday? I might make the run.

Whit's Whaler Guest

No go on Wednesday, but thanks for the invite. I wish I could, but during the week is more difficult for me with my work schedule. That's one reason I want to bring my boat east for a while. Closer to home I can probably get out in the evening on occasion after work.

Good luck if you go, and stay in touch....