Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking so then

Just because we do things , we should tell others that its ok ???

I like you grew up on the lake and would have to say , being over 60 I may even have a few years on you there . Back in the day , it was not common to make the long runs that are made today during the summer months . I to have fished Erie in boats as small as 14 feet .

There is a big difference from someone coming from out of the area and the locals . The locals have more experience on Erie and that makes a HUGE difference . I for one take safety very serious . Lake Erie is very unforgiving if you are not use to her and she will bite you . Is Erie fishable in a 17 footer ?? Of course it is on certain days..

As far as opinions we all know the saying !!!

B can man knows OGF
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Wayne, I think you have enough years on the lake to offer your opinion. Don't bother explaining your position to anyone who is as rude as f...head315. He sounds like he knows everything........except how to communicate in a friendly manner. Maybe that's how they do it on OGF.

My personal experience is that it would be difficult at best to fish from a boat of 18 ft. in steady 3 foot waves, even rollers would make it difficult to move around in the boat or even stand to fish, check baits, set lines or change positions in the boat.

Safety comes first! So watch the weather reports about predicted storms and what time they are expected to move into the general area of the lake. NOAA is almost useless for this purpose!!!! Late afternoon comes to mind as the time of day they most frequently occur predicted or not. Second always keep an eye on the sky, checking frequently for ominous clouds, by always I mean all day long. It can become extremely calm a few minuets to an hour before a storm hits. Your direction of travel from the launch should also be considered, as most storms come from the west to southwest so heading west in the morning will buy you a little more time to get back to safe harbor if a storm approaches, going east will shorten the time that you have to make safe harbor presuming the storms are coming in from the West or southwest. Keeping the previous statements in mind I understand that you have to go were the fish are so use vigilant observation to determine when to start in if a storm should appear on the horizon! For me that means immediately! In the end it is still your call to make so be careful and have fun!!

I would like to thank the posters who have put their own experience's in the following 2 links from this site into writing and put those experience's out there on this site for those with lesser knowledge to learn from. It says a lot about those posters integrity and honesty.

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=6825

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=6619

This should serve as a warning to everyone and especially those new to the lake that calm seas can become treacherous seas in the matter of minuets. Take note of the size of the boats that are involved in these situations! How do you think a boat of lesser size or a less experienced crew or both would have come out? Boat size can makeup for some lack of experience in these situations but it is still not pleasant.

Disclaimer!
    If I have offended anyone with my post so be it! I could not recommend to anyone that it would be safe let alone fun in an 18 ft. boat in steady 4 ft. seas. That type of situation would require several years of experience just to navigate safely as there are always those rouge and unpredictable waves in those conditions.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    B can man knows OGF
    You are correct, I do. But, it is never a good idea to link to a competing website on anyone elses. AND, if you check my profile over there you will see that my activity is very little over there. Why? Because there is a lot of BS over there that I prefer not to deal with.

That said, being a vigilant fisherman means checking all resources. As far as the trust meter with information received; I trust the information that I get here far more than that other site.

I have found ReelTime, WayneJohnson, Skipper9, Black Pearl, Waterdog, Wakina, and many others to be more helpful than others on any other site. These fellas embody the spirit of Lake Erie fishermen from years past.

You seem to know a bit about Erie, just work on your presentation a bit. (Forums are kind of like fishing, presentation can be the key)
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' boat and have gone out as far to the line north of Gull Shoal from Catawba. Yes, I've been caught in a storm and believe me, it's no fun. I do not intentionally go out in waves over 2 ft., and I keep a real close eye on the weather and listen to the marine radio as well. I take off as soon as I see or hear anything indicating rougher water. I wouldn't take children if there's a possibility of bad weather. One other thing that helps is I have a depthfinder with nav chart so I can tell exactly where I am in relation to reefs or shallow water, as well as plotting a direct course back. I found out early a small mistake in direction on a slow boat on the big lake can cost you a lot of extra time to get in off the water, especially in a storm when visibility is not so good and every minute is more waves crashing over the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default B can man

I guess we disagree about OGF . I find that site is much more friendly to the new members. Lots of help there without having to be approved by other members on there .

Being here for years compared to be new means nothing as lots of guys BS being either an old member or new . I for one have no problems letting other fishermen know about other sites that can help them catch more fish . This is a report board and almost half of the post are looking for walk on customers for charters. In my opinion a Report page is just that , for reports ... Anytime anyone asks about fishing in their own boat a charter or two jump in with their post come with us we will show you weather they asked for a charter or not . Look at the post about night fishing , None of the charters here seem to do them but one guy jumps in with their add, fish with us in the evening .. Evening is not night time fishing at all ..

Like I said in a post before , I advertised here for 7 years and was a member for longer then that under a different name .Just because I am here under a new name does not make me more or less creditable then anyone else on here ..

Seems to me some guys think this is their site and it makes me laugh .There are many many guys here that are on OGF as well . Heck one charter captain from here even goes on there and post with his business name on there trying to get customers . Even though there are paying charter companies advertising there . Is that right ??? I read lots of post that has links to other pages on here yet thats not a problem until I post a link to help someone out .

Most Charter guys are very ethical and their business is respected for that . Reputable charters dont have to beg for business as there name speaks for it all so they get booked ahead of time . I laugh everytime I see "had a last minute cancellation " Chartering in my 7 years I had two cancellations to a death in the family of my clients. Amazing how some have a cancellation almost every week .

as far I a 17.5 foot boat , seems like most of you agree with me on the safety issue yet are mad at me for speaking out . I have the right to voice my opinion as well as anyone . Hopefully my advice will save a life and not put peoples lives in jepordy because someone here tells them its not a problem at all ..

Good fishing

Non Pack Hunter !!!

PS Will see many of you over on OGF !!!
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

As I was growing up I can remember my Grandfather always saying there is more boats on the bottom of the lake than the top. With that being said whatever choice you make be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The wrath ??

Once again wakina , you are funny .. You know it all ... As far as the "wrath" coming down on me , I could care less what people think of me that dont know me . . You guys have your click here so good for you ... When you see Rod tell him I said hi . He is one heck of a guy and a good fisherman as I have fished with him . Same goes for Kagee and Het also great guys .

As far as "high Jacking" a members thread, I believe I answered his question is an safe matter . Take a look again , you and your posse hi jacked the members thread ..

I see why some of you avoid OGF . You are just another member there and have no one to stroke your ego so you stay away . Smart move by you as no it alls dont last long there . Seems to me you like sites where you think you are important and are a go to guy . To me however , you are no different them any other member here , new or old .

For you new guys here . Visit OGF and registar and you will find friends and the help that lots of sites lack . Non boat owners, the same thing . Members there post when they have an open seat and will take you fishing with them and no these are not charter captains that do that , just fishermen like you and I .

As far as being caught in the storm you posted , I was at the safety of the dock when it hit being my friends know when Im out and we look out for one another .I had 3 different calls that day about the approaching storms. We didnt headout an hour before the storms hit. Safety is first for me and whenever I headout I have eyes on shore that warns of approaching storms just as I do for them . SAFETY FIRST PERIOD !!!

On the subject of posting on a site as a business that you do not advertise on but other pay to do so , well that just shows what kind of business you are running that you believe it is ok to do that ..Go search Hockey on OGF and surprise you will see his kids name , number , and name of the business at the end of the post ..Would you go to a Sport Show that vendors pay to be there and stand next to his booth ans pass your info out ??? Same difference ..

and last but not least , if others can post non reports in the report sections , why cant I ???

As far as the night fishing thread . It was plain and simple the OP wanted to night fish . Who jumped in and said , fish with us ???MONEY MONEY MONEY

Good fishing !!!

Non Pack Hunter !!!
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Default to whom it may concern

All captains who run walk on on this site pay yearly dues. all of us give were we fish, lure size, speed depth and location, we take phone calls all hours of the night from fisherman just wanting to know where to fish even though they don't fish with
    us, as far as evening we do run evening trips from 4.30 to 11.00 or 12 pm., we run 101 classes for the people that are having trouble trolling, Yes I do sent fishing tips on ogf, and leave our number if some one to call for advice, because there is very few western basin reports, all capt. on this site get thier boats inspect regular, pay commericial insurance, most belong to a charter assoc.. most carry more life saving device than needed, we all give out free lures to help any one who needs
    some thing extra on thier boats, we all have private boats
    follow us where every we go and we don't complain,
    and for the money factor, anyone who in this trade knows
    it takes 4 to 5 years just to break even, were not about the money were on this site to help the avg fisherman fill his cooler, remenber we are all fisherman first. thank you
    wayne Reel Sport team.

Post Thanks / Like

If OGF is so great, then why did you come here trying to stir up drama? Is there not enough there to satisfy you?

This forum sure seems to get along just fine without you trolling for drama in every other thread.

These evil charters you speak of were the 3rd and 4th posters in this very thread. And what did they post? "Come fishing with us!?!"??? NOPE.
    They gave the poster their phone numbers and said to call them anytime for fishing reports and advice. Wayne Johnson and Skipper9 are so money hungry, they are probably charging by the minute for giving out fishing info, right?

I can't speak for Wayne, never met him or been in contact with him, but he seems to have great rapport on this site. You seem to be the only one with a problem with him.

Skipper9 has answered probably hundreds of calls and texts from me alone. With as many times as he has posted his phone number here on the forum, offering people advice or help, I can't imagine his phone is ever quiet. That to me shows that he isn't money hungry. He's went out of his way to help me get fishing tackle, answered my questions on using that tackle, told me where he was fishing and what he was using, you name it.

Post Thanks / Like

Apology from me only!!

Sorry ILBowhuntr about the extra non informative replies I made in this thread, that is not what this site is about. I hope that you find the one reply I made in post #12 directly to your question useful.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip