walleye report 7-13 7-14 walleye report 7-13 7-14 walleye report 7-13 7-14 walleye report 7-13 7-14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default uhhhh

There was a big discussion on here last year about limits and the net result was that after you catch your limit you have to stop fishing for that species. For example, after 6 walleyes reduced to possession, you have to fish for perch, sheephead, bass, etc., anything but walleye. After 6 in possession you can't cull and sort-throw back smaller ones in possession and keep bigger ones to stay at the limit. You can't hand your pole to someone else after hooking a fish you suspect is an over limit. You have to release it. Once you hook a fish it is yours. Also you are correct in that there is no boat limit, only individual limits. I personally don't like it but that is the law.

(And certainly don't advertise an over limit situation in an open forum.)

Default just thinking

if you have to stop after catching your six walleye how do these tournament guys keep fishing and culling all day long BigDan

Daily Bag limits apply to fish kept. You can catch and release as any many fish of given species in day as you want or are able to.

From the published Ohio regulations I don't know if culling is allowed in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    That would be the "legal" way to do it ... Thats why OGF is a very good site ...

Good Fishing

Non Pack Hunter
    I'm surprised you dare to come to our site for risk of being shunned by OGF.

My thought is why give fisherman a hard time as long as the group only takes their limit, what's the harm? A lot of trollers don't set their own lines therefore they are being assisted in catching fish, as long as the boat takes the limit, who cares. I suppose to really make everything fair, we should impose possession limits. You know, like no more than say 24 walleye in your freezer, maybe a hundred perch. After all, those who live on the lake can take 42 walleye and 210 perch per week every week and still be legal. Yet some of them will be the same ones to complain about a person who can only come to the lake one trip per year when they catch a "boat limit" for the day. I mean, we all pay the same price for the license, so why should some be allowed to have more fish in their freezer.

I am of course saying this with my tongue firmly pressed to my cheek, I am just trying to make a point to those who complain.
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 07-20-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Corrected my math.......thanks for pointing that out!

Default perch limit

Hope your not keeping 50 perch a day. The limit is 30 in case you didnt know .

Good Fishing

Non Pack Hunter
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    Hope your not keeping 50 perch a day. The limit is 30 in case you didnt know .

Good Fishing

Non Pack Hunter
    Just going out on a limb here nut I'm assuming he just looked at the state limit rather than the Lake Erie-specific regs. The state limit is 50.

State wide limit is now 40 except for specific waters. Specific waters in this case would be Lake Erie at 30.
    Last edited by TIN CAN; 07-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.

No, I just posted the wrong number for the perch, you would indeed be only allowed 210 per week.
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 07-20-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Hmmmm... so if a guy takes his 2 kids out for a fun fishing day trolling for walleye (hypothetically)..... and lets say that guy wants his kids to enjoy the day and revel in the excitement of reeling in almost every fish. This could be attributed to the "guy" staying very busy with boat control, baiting lines, replacing leaders, resetting trips, setting boards, netting fish, applying sunscreen and force feeding water into 10-13 yo boys. Now granted, the boys reel in numerous Farm animals as well as walleye during the day, but they do reel in almost all of the fish for a total of 18 walleyes (3 people in the boat). Since they truly have limited awareness of what they are reeling in until it gets near the back of the boat, does this then mean that the law has been "broken"?

try and tell a kid that he's done fishing... and oh i need to catch my fish now..............
    Last edited by igotgills2; 07-22-2013 at 07:58 AM.