young walleye young walleye young walleye young walleye
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: young walleye

Default young walleye

I have been fishing the lake for over 25 years and I don't remember seeing this many short walleye since the monster 2003 class. I don't think they predicted the 2011 hatch to be this strong but everyone I talk to said they are tossing back nearly as many shorts as they are keeping. How do you guys think the number of small walleye compares to the 2003 hatch? At any rate it looks like we will have some decent fish in the next couple of years.

1+ year old walleyes caught= 10 1/2"
    2+ year old walleyes caught= 14 1/4"
    3+ year old walleyes caught= 17 1/4"
    4+ year old walleyes caught= 18 7/8"
    5+ year old walleyes caught= 20 1/4"
    6+ year old walleyes caught= 21 1/4"
    7+ year old walleyes caught= 22 3/4"
    8+ year old walleyes caught= 24 1/4"
    9+ year old walleyes caught= 26 1/4"
    10+ year old walleyes caught=27 1/2"

Let's hope... we caught maybe 2 dozen or so shorts and many right at 15 the last several weeks

Greg

Default Shorts

Yes, today was about 40% shorts, some 9-10" some 13-14".
    Glad to see that.

A concern that I have is that the small ones get dragged along if caught trolling and end up drowning if the tackle is not set properly. Has anyone been seeing that occur?

When we were up we only caught one short out of twenty fish, and that one was probably legal but it was so close I didn't want to take the chance. Of course, if they aren't as aggressive as all the trash fish we were pulling that could be why we didn't get as many as others.

the last 2 times out i have handled 2 short fish for every keeper. Most in the 10-15 inch range. It is great to see. GOes to show you the experts don't have all the facts with their trawl surveys. I think 2011 was a big class. lets hope 2013 was too!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I have been fishing the lake for over 25 years and I don't remember seeing this many short walleye since the monster 2003 class. I don't think they predicted the 2011 hatch to be this strong but everyone I talk to said they are tossing back nearly as many shorts as they are keeping. How do you guys think the number of small walleye compares to the 2003 hatch? At any rate it looks like we will have some decent fish in the next couple of years.

1+ year old walleyes caught= 10 1/2"
    2+ year old walleyes caught= 14 1/4"
    3+ year old walleyes caught= 17 1/4"
    4+ year old walleyes caught= 18 7/8"
    5+ year old walleyes caught= 20 1/4"
    6+ year old walleyes caught= 21 1/4"
    7+ year old walleyes caught= 22 3/4"
    8+ year old walleyes caught= 24 1/4"
    9+ year old walleyes caught= 26 1/4"
    10+ year old walleyes caught=27 1/2"
    The number of shorts in late 2004 and into 2005 was at a ratio of at least 10 to 1 in the western basin (maybe higher). The walleye population of adult breeders was very low and keepers were hard to come by. So it would be very hard for a good comparison of the ratio shorts that are being caught now to what was caught back then.

I do know that shorts no matter what year they are hatched are very aggressive and are always hungry in there 2nd and 3rd summers.

Here is a thread from 01/01/2012 that has the opinions of a few of us older lake Erie guys and our thoughts on the 2011 hatch at the end of 2011. I sure hope these guys thoughts and observations are/were correct.

http://community.walleye.com/showthr...8215#post18215

There will be no fishing reports from me this year as my boats 5.7L engine went south forever and its replacement looks like a winter project at this point.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Wakina, sorry to hear about your boat. Keep an eye on the your private messages. Most times that I am up to the lake, I have an extra spot or two on the boat and you are more than welcome to come along any time. I will send you a message the day before I am planning a trip up to the lake, or if you want, add my cellphone to your contacts and send me a text or give me a call and I will add yours. I run a very democratic boat and you would have input on where we go and what we fish.

If you plan to pull the motor and replace it yourself and want a hand, give me a shout as well. I am by no means an expert on boats, but I have managed to pull an engine and drive before. I am no stranger to tools/motor work.

I am sending you my cell phone number by PM.

Vern
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Default 2012 walleye guide is it Fact or Fiction?

Here is some more info on the 2011 hatch and the discussion that took place early last year. Please note that the Editor did not answer my email inquiring about where they got the information they alluded to in their article.

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=3782
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Talking Good news!

Thanks Wakina for posting the link to those threads.

It is pretty clear that the 2012 Walleye Guide was correct in it's prediction that the 2011 hatch was a banner year. I can remember reading those now that you have refreshed my memory. I can also remember the bait netters that year talking about the abundance of yearling walleye they were getting when they were catching shiners. So much for those trawl results! It appears we were correct back then when some of us were questioning the results and many indicators are saying we did indeed have a good 2011 hatch.