Help Holiday Weekend Help Holiday Weekend Help Holiday Weekend Help Holiday Weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Holiday Weekend

Ugh. We need some help. We put in at Bolles Harbor and fish for walleye, might trya trip foperch this weekend. We generally drift but sometimes troll. We usually only catch 1 or 2 eyes so we are doing something wrong or not going to the right place. Two years now and never maxed out and its getting frustrating. Only time maxed out was when we went with. Capt Mike & Wayne. We learned what to use from them. I guess we need help on where to go. I don't understand a lot of the lingo used to describe locations on the boards. Please help. I want to give my hubby a good fishing weekend. With his work & the rain we haven't been out much this year and it looks like we will get to go out tomorrow and Sat & Sun. Thanks!
    Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

Smile help on the way

Hey dawn wayne here, if you are casting gold and copper blades are working here, trolling we are using jet divers 40 30 to 40 back, spoons jagar bomb and purple demon, speed 1.9 to 2.3
    worm harness 1.9 willow blade harness are hot thing now also,
    don.t be affaired to work in close 19 to 22 ft. water from 6 to 10 am or 4 pm to dark has been good with mixed fish, also work out toward turn around bouy or dumping grounds out your way, hope this helps, watch the skys for the storms, Reel Sport charters Capt, Mike and Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

So we should head out to the giant red & white bouy to the east of the sisters where we went with you'all? We are using a new boat this year and haven't gone that far out yet. We have been all over further up close, with all the eyes we caught being caught in the area of the River Raisin Channel. And much to my delight, all the eyes that havecome into the boat, legal or throwback, have come in on my line,lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    Hey dawn wayne here, if you are casting gold and copper blades are working here, trolling we are using jet divers 40 30 to 40 back, spoons jagar bomb and purple demon, speed 1.9 to 2.3
    worm harness 1.9 willow blade harness are hot thing now also,
    don.t be affaired to work in close 19 to 22 ft. water from 6 to 10 am or 4 pm to dark has been good with mixed fish, also work out toward turn around bouy or dumping grounds out your way, hope this helps, watch the skys for the storms, Reel Sport charters Capt, Mike and Wayne
    I will help translate some of what Wayne was saying. The lingo might be getting in the way. He is saying that you should work out towards the Turn-around Bouy or the dumping grounds, which are not that far out from Boles harbor. You can see them on most of the Lake Erie Charts. Both of those areas are way West of the Sister Islands. As the water warms, the bigger fish will continue to move East, which is why most of the Charter guys are running out by West Sister or further when the weather permits.

As far as techniques, he is saying that they are getting some casting gold and copper bladed harnesses or weapon rigs. They are also trolling with Jet 40 Divers, 30-40 feet back from their planer boards, with the smaller trolling spoons (Michigan Stinger type), in purple demon or Jaeger Bomb (Google images to see what they look like). Speeds 1.9-2.3. He said they are also getting some on willow bladed harnesses at 1.9 (willow blades can be trolled faster than Colorado blades).

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Actually never used Jets til we took a charter w/capt Mike & Wayne 2 summers ago. We have a set up similar to theirs with homemade planer boards, jets & spoons when we troll. So I understand that part but appreciate the breakdown. Would someone please tell me what the giant red & white bouy thing is that stands high out of the water so I can find it on the Lake Erie marine map I have to use as a reference point? Thanks guys! I prefer drifting cuz I like to hold my pole but looks like my old man wins and I'm gonna have to let him troll if we are to catch any fish. I hate trolling. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    Thanks,
    Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Lake Erie- Western Basin detailed lake map. What is the turn around bouy? Please & thanks
    Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to add how important calibrateing your line counter reels are. If you mark off 100' you should check each reel to make sure your counter reads 100' when you pull the line out to check. If it doesn't you are not matching the leads that are working.

Post Thanks / Like

What is referred to as the turnaround,the structure, McDonalds is the first channel marker ( being red and white I think it would be channel marker no. 2) out in the lake that marks the beginning of the channel to the port of Toledo

Here is a link that someone else here posted that has the GPS coordinates
    http://www.dwfonline.com/gps_waypoints.htm
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Post Thanks / Like

Well shitballs, so finally it has a name, lol! Its huge, red & white & very tall out of the water. We fish near it all the time. Now it has a name, the turnaround. Thanks guys!
    Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

Mechanical issues forced us to stay grounded today. All fixed up & hoping to make it out Saturday morning. We just can't decide if we will go for Perch or Walleye. Hubby wants to catch a mess of Perch to feed all the guys up deer hunting dinner one night. All weather permitting. Right now forcasting 30% chance of isolated t-storms. Fingers crossed. Good luck to those who have bigger boats & can risk going out with rain/storms.
    Dawn