6/29 & 6/30 6/29 & 6/30 6/29 & 6/30 6/29 & 6/30
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6/29 & 6/30

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6/29 & 6/30

Left the dock at 6am sat morning with some old friends, started north of C-can and just picked at them, made a move north to the can east of west sister, hardly any marks, picked up and moved west of the islands and just hammered them, couldn't hardly keep the lines in. Best leads were 65 back, best color yeager bomb or pooh bear purple. We were the only boat out there.

Went out again sunday, bumpy ride out, also got alot later start cause the trailer was acting up, spring on my back axle was jammed had to pry on it to get it to swing around so all the weight wasn't sitting on one axle. So went back to the same area, lots of head boats this time, this time couldn't get the big boards going, homemade, just not pulling hard enough, when I get in a swell they turn towards the board and start crossing and even flipping, it makes for a mess(if any one has suggestions please let me know) I tried one idea on pullling the front of the inside board closer to the outside board, so I tried dipsy, we picked at them all day, I'd say we had 7 in the box, until it finally laid down enough and I got the big boards out again, got our last 5 in an hr and headed back in. Same leads and colors.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same board problem, I weighted them down with about 5 pounds of steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile planner boards

You need wieghts on inside rough three to five lbs, if this still
    doesn't work contact skipper 9 Capt. Jim 614 327 7144 he has the best boards on the lake never any problems and turn on a dime with no tangles. As for west side of west sister how far back and how far to the west. And old school jets or true trips
    makes a big differents. Reel SPORT TEAM

Post Thanks / Like

Old school jet divers vs. Tru-trips. Is there that much of a difference ?
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the weight info, I'll give it a shot, I made them out of PVC board they normally pull great, just in swells they screw up. It's really fustrating. I'm guessing you just bolted extra strap steal to the bottom?
    I was running 40 tru trips, I forgot to mention I was also running 50 tru trips on the other side 45 back, those were doing better, not sure why, it was like that all day though. On my 50's I take the metal bar off. And I was west of rattle maybe 1/2 mile. They were stacked in there didn't matter where you were sat, after that blow sun they dissappeared, don't get me wrong the graph looked good, but nothing like sat.
    Also hooked a steel head, broke my swivel when he danced accross the water, never had them break them before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss928 View Post
    Old school jet divers vs. Tru-trips. Is there that much of a difference ?
    On 40's not sure would have to compare my dive charts, now 50's if you leave that metal bar on for sure, dives alot deeper. That's why I take it off, plus harder to keep it snapped it with out popping.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Planner boards

THEY MAKE WIEGHTS ROUGHLY ONE lb. each that you screw onto the inside of your boards on the outside board we have three on each board, you should be able to pick them up at port clition bait store or happy hooker or call Capt. Jim he will walk you threw the balancing act. Back to west sister 1/2 mile off island how far north, I have had three report this week all a litle different as how far north, just wondering. Thanks Wayne
    Reel Sport Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll look into the weights.
    Didn't matter they were spread out from straight west all the way to the line. Direction matter more, if you couldn't get them south, turn north and instant slam they were on. Lots of throw backs, never had so many. As many thow backs as keepers, great to see that.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on adding weight, however, do you have 4-5 inch I bolts where you attach your planer board cable? The first set that I made didn't have those and I had all sorts of issues with them spinning around in big waves and even pulling the wrong direction or diving on me. Having the longer I bolts on them keeps them from doing that. I also moved the eye a little further back on the board so they would pull harder. I made my latest set out of 1 x 8 x 30 treated pine, so they were already really heavy. I didn't need to add any lead to them.

BTW, if you are looking for some ideas for cheap releases, try using rubber bands with shower curtain rings. If you are having issues with junk fish not being able to break the rubber bands, you can also make some out of the small paper binding clips, with surgical tubing around each side to grip the line. I just put the binding clip on the shower curtain ring, pinch the line in the clip and send it out. Sometimes I will half-hitch a rubber band around my line and just put that into the binder clip. If it doesn't break, you just reel it in and then you can set it back to the exact same depth when you send it back out. Having the rubber bands helps you see when there is junk on the line, as you can see it stretch (like a rod tip).

Why pay 3-5 bucks per release when you can make them for less than a buck and they work just as well.

I made my mast out of PVC pipe that fits snugly over a Traxtech Net Holder mounted in the front. Works great and all the materials cost less than $25 bucks. Most expensive part was the Net holder and track mount.