Weapon Rig Weapon Rig Weapon Rig Weapon Rig

Thread: Weapon Rig

Default Weapon Rig

Since we'll be fishing this weekend and I'm seeing lots of reports of the mayfly hatch being in full swing, can someone please explain to me the difference between the weapon and a regular crawler harness? I've attempted to search for this, but apparently it's still a well-kept secret because I've only found one website showing how to tie one, and it looks no different to me than a harness.

The "Weapon" was introduced as a variation of the weight forward lure "Erie Dearie" by Erie Dearie . They basicly took the wire out of the lure and replaced it with about 30 inches of mono and put the lead head of the lure on the end of that mono. The basice difference between a harness and the weapon is single hook on the weapon and the weight is supplied with the weapon in the package and ususally matches the blade color. It is designed to be cast and the harness with usually multiple hooks is better trolled although it can be cast.

However with that said, at this time you want to be considering the "Mayfly" rig which is single hook much smaller beads and blade and is most effective when cast and allowed to swing on a tight line.

I tie mine by a simple snell to about a size 4 hook followed by 5 small (2 MM.) brass or dark red glass beads and a size 3 hammered gold colorado blade. Leave about 24 inches of mono for the lead and in the end tie a loop but in the loop tie in a single small bead. The purpose of the bead is to hold a barrel sinker from sliding down the line when it is placed on the loop. Attach the loop to a good ball bearing swivile. On the single hook you will use only about an inch of night crawler. Just enough to cover the hook. Cast this out and close the bale when it hits the water. Let the rig fall on a tight line and even better if you are drifting let it arc or swing with the drift. Most of your fish will come on the fall and during the swing. The walleyes are eating the larva as they come from the bottom up and usually not off the bottom. Others may have different methods that work well for them but this has been the most effective for me.

Default easy to use

I make all my own rigs. Mayfly rig, weapon, casting harness. A harness to me is a 2 or 3 hook rig. A mayfly rig is a single hook, 5 or 6 beads of gold, lime green or some colors that look the mayfly color. Small gold blade, or some with shine copper or very dull copper blade. A weapon is about the same thing. I use gold, green, orange, red, blue and silver beads with various blade colors but usually gold. I Have many blade colors and styles to try. All my rigs for casting are 16-18 inch long. The 2-3 hook rigs i sometimes use in early summer and late spring. Single hook with a half worm threaded on straight. I dont have a picture of one to post. A loop on the end big enough to change weights fast .
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

When I don't have any tied up, I just shorten one of my regular harnesses like Greg to close to 16 inch as that is about as long as you want to be able to cast easily. Cut the back hook off, change out the blade to a small gold or bumble bee blade, tie the large loop with a small bead in the loop, slide over your egg sinker 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 depending and your good to go.

The bumble bee blade is a copper/yellowish with black dots on it. They come in from very small to #5 and spoons.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

One thing that I have found that helps casting these type of rigs is to use a baitcaster if you have one. You can thumb the spool just before entering the water which makes the rig fan out and not foul up. It also helps if you gently sweep cast instead of a hard jerky one.

you can do the same thing with a spinning reel just before it hits the water place your hand gently on the bail to add resistance to the line going out works great.

excellent post by Tin Can. hit the nail on the head about 6 times. The weapon rig is my favorite to fish with and all the success I have had on it, comes by doing exactly what he said. In addition to fishing the swing and everything else he mentioned, I also do what I call a "flutter" when fishing the weapon. hard to explain but basically when you are retrieving.....i pull about 4-5 feet (like the motion you would use when you set the hook, except slower), then reel that 4-5 feet back while you reset your rod to your original position. and repeat. this creates a slow rise of the rig while you are pulling, then a free fall flutter while you are reeling back the line. most of the time they will hit it on the free fall

Thanks guys. I'll tie up some mayfly rigs tonight and give those a go Saturday. Do you all use an inline with those? Eggs? No weight? I've seen them in the bait shops up there years ago, I think I even have one in my tackle box that I'll need to retie, but never actually been up there during the hatch and needed to use them. I believe the one in my tackle box came with a 1/2 ounce inline weight tied to it that you attached to a snap swivel, gold beads and a #3 gold Indiana blade.

Ryguy, that's how I've always fished my crawler harnesses, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'll tie up some mayfly rigs tonight and give those a go Saturday. Do you all use an inline with those?????
    NOOR