perch rods perch rods perch rods perch rods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: perch rods

Default perch rods

This is a simple question but i am just curious to what kind of rods you guys like fishing for perch with UL,L,ML,M? i use a light rod but cant really feel the light bites was wondering if i should try to go lighter or a little heavier or do you think it really matters. i fish with spreaders with bling i find if i use the crappie rigs i catch more junk. what do you like using?

Default Rods

I am usually using a 5 1/2 Ugly Stick in lite and no spreader with a single Bear Claw to attach a plain snelled hook for spotting and if it turns on I add another
    Bear Claw and hook. Works just fine for me. I hate loosing good bait when using spreaders.

Been doing this for longer than I care to remember! I have settled on a stiff Med action rod with good sensitivity, I prefer graphite rods of at least the IM6 variety and any good braided line 10lb or under. You can feel the perch fart with my favorite rig. I also use the modified crappie rigs with the long arms to help avoid the Snelled hook form wrapping around the main line of the rig. The line from reel to the bait transmits the least bit of resistance/tap to the rod and then to your hand and the rod does not absorb the feel of the bite with its whippy end.

I have a friend that was having trouble feeling the perch so I had an extra rod laying around at home and he bought it. His catch rate went up immediately and I don't think he is looking back. I hope that maybe he will see this post and chime in.

I am not one to tell someone that their choice for a rod is not for the best but in subtle ways try to point them in the right direction. I think he would agree with that statement. I also think that he is more than satisfied with the rod that he purchased off of me.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Smile perch rods

med light ulgly sticks for clients, eight lb. test lime green line easier for them to deect bite,. ultra light spreader no bing, skipper 9
    perch rigs or single hook rigs 3/4 to 1 ounce flat sinker laying in the mud with a little slack line. Reel Sport team 418 265 2736

Talking watch the rodtip

Doesn't really matter what rod you have in your hand if you watch the rod tip, you will see it before ya feel it, but a good med-light, stiff rod works good, just a twitch and those little convicts are mine !!! Braided line 8-10 lb is good. Mike

Default rods

I use a 6ft St.Croix UL with a tiny spinning reel.. 4-6lbs line.. I like the feel of UL for perch and I use it for Bass in the marina... They put up a great fight on them lil rods..
    LOWE LIFE

Default perch rod

I use a 6.6ft Fenwick rod, medium action with med soft tip, 6lb Fireline, either plain spreader or my own crappie style rig probably something like Wakina style. 3/4 oz lead on the bottom, and always use Mustad snell #28 hooks.
    A good medium to high quality rod with a lite braid line and a soft tip. A lite rod and soft tip helps with the lite bites so the perch dont detect any resistance from the boat.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default what to fish with

i too have been perching far longer than I care to remember. however my expreience from the many guys i have fished with, it is a matter of personal touch. I finally ended up with a basspro 5 1/2' ul with a 6;1 ratio bait cast reel spooled with 8# braid, 3ft. mono leader, 2 #2eagle claw hooks, 1oz# sinker no bling, in the mud. Like I say, try until your comfortable with the setup and you will catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidebassman2 View Post
    i too have been perching far longer than I care to remember. however my expreience from the many guys i have fished with, it is a matter of personal touch. I finally ended up with a basspro 5 1/2' ul with a 6;1 ratio bait cast reel spooled with 8# braid, 3ft. mono leader, 2 #2eagle claw hooks, 1oz# sinker no bling, in the mud. Like I say, try until your comfortable with the setup and you will catch fish.
    Best answer yet!!!!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Braided Line

The secret for me has been braided line. period.
    No stretch = sensitivity.
    pretty much any long shank perch hook will do... no bling.
    I tend to 'load' the rods with enough weight so the take the tip bend out of the equation.
    Maybe 3/4 or 1 oz if it is wavy.
    Then, as has been said, watch the rod tip.
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.