perch rods perch rods perch rods perch rods
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: perch rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigs

Seems like weight on the bottom is most popular. I will have to see what I can find so I can try something a little different. Last time I used a crappie rig I could only catch junk. Also seems like a lot of you prefer braid as well. Taking notes keep em coming I ought to put everything together and be a
    Perchin master lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the sensitivity of the St Croix rods for perch and bass fishing but I have never thought of using braid for perch.....that will be on my short list so I too can feel a perch fart. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and I both use ugly sticks, braided line, and some split shot sinkers. We have always had better luck with single hook at bottom of line with split shot sinkers above. As mentioned before whatever feels best and works best for u. Wife uses just a couple split shots and I load up. Neither one of us can use each others rod with much success. She always sticks with her plan and I experiment with different spreaders from time to time but always seem to do best with what I mentioned above and end up going right back to it. Again what feels best and works for u.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6ft. Wally Marshal rod from bass pro with 6lb braid and 3ft of 6lb floro leader 3/4 oz weight. I also loosen my drag so it acts as a buffer to minimize the shock to the no streach lines and reduces breaking line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

I have a question for all you guys... Why such heavy line?? 8-10# seems a bit much for perch. How big are the perch your catching?? I know everyone fishes different but I was just wondering? Good luck and be safe!
    LOWE LIFE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOWE LIFE View Post
    I have a question for all you guys... Why such heavy line?? 8-10# seems a bit much for perch. How big are the perch your catching?? I know everyone fishes different but I was just wondering? Good luck and be safe!
    LOWE LIFE
    I didn't weigh it But I measured it. My wife caught a 32 inch plus sheephead. Besides 10# braid is about the size of 2# mono. Heavier line is nice for those ever hungry sheeps! Nothing worse than having to rerig during a hot bite.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

On calmer days in less than 25 foot of water I use a 4’6” St Croix ultra-light with 4lb mono. I have my drag set light because like Wakina alluded to, a big sheephead will ruin the moment during a good bite. I have heard nothing but good about using braided but I have a ton of the 4lb mono and haven’t had of a reason to change. On rougher days or in water deeper than 25 foot especially in your 40’ plus depth ranges (Lucy’s Point, Or just SW of the red can at Gull) I use a 6 foot UL Fenwick Venture with the same 4lb mono. The longer rod provides more backbone for those deep water hookups.

I have tried many of the different perch rigs over the years but my favorite is the long wire rig with no bling that has the three branching arms that you attach your hooks of choice to. ½ ounce flat weight on calm days, ¾ - 1 oz on rough days.

It’s all a matter of personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

braid, Braid, BRAID!

In my opinion, you gain the most sensitivity from going to braided line. That said, I wasn't happy with any rig I tried (4+) til I went to my old "bass rod", which is a light action Berkley. I have 8lb spiderwire on it and it's like having eyes under the water.

The one thing that surprises me is to read guys saying "watch the tip". I do watch the tip, but I would say almost 100% of my perch catches have come from sitting my finger ever-so-lightly on the spiderwire just above the reel and then feeling either the "bump" or more commonly "something just don't feel right", hookset and FISH ON!

Dad, who just started perching last year with me, is still having a hell of a time feeling the perch. He is running a light action (I believe Shakspear) with probably around 8lb mono. I have tried the subtle hints of "hey, you might like this spiderwire", but he hasn't gotten frustrated enough to switch. If I can convince him of it this year, I think he will be overjoyed with the difference.

Oh and I think I forgot to mention... You might want to use braided line

Edit: Forgot to say that plenty of limits came off of plain spreaders with no bling. Up and down, in the mud, during a reel-in, it always varies, but once you find the trick for that day/spot, FISH ON! I did seem to have better catch rates last year using gold colored hooks, but it was late in the year and I intend on trying out that theory more this year. I think I'm goint to try your guys single hook rig with flat sinker this year when I take the kids out perching. Good Luck!
    Last edited by B can man; 06-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOWE LIFE View Post
    LOWE LIFE
    I have caught at least 3 - 28" walleye while perch fishing. 99% of the time your fine, but, would you want to lose a big walleye because of a line break?

Post Thanks / Like

I run a charter on the Canada side. I don't allow my customers to bring their own rods. I have 5'3" medium action rods with 10lb braid, a 1.5oz sinker and crappie rigs #1 size. I know this all seems heavy but the sensitivity is there as well as immediate hook set ability.

Right now I am working 40' of water.

to date we have landed 3010 keepers this season and last years total was 12130 perch
    Good luck and keep the post coming. I enjoy reading this site.

BD
    Long Point Ont