drifting drifting drifting drifting

Thread: drifting

Default drifting

Hi everyone. New to this site,sorta been sitting back reading and leaning what I can. Have been on lots of charters but have never fished lake Erie my self. My daughter and grandson live in Toledo,and I have my boat at meinke marina.lots of good reason to go to meinke so grandson and I can fish(see I live in pa). But anyway my question is I bought dipsy rods to do some trolling,seems for now we like drift fishing can we use our 8.ft and 9 ft rods to pull bottom bouncers? Is that something you can or have done? Thanks for any input. Great info on here..

when I go drift fishing ive used my dipsey rods they worked great and the line counter really helps

Smile long rod drifting

this is old school but works great esp. on calm days, put three or four split shots up line 18 to 24 inches, put small spinner with single hook half worm, drop straight down like you were perch fishing raise it up about one foot and set it in rod holder,
    the longer the rod and the more wimmpy the better, rod will fold in half when fish is on, Save maney a day with limits off this style.
    Reel Sport team Mienkes west, 419 265 2736

don't use the dipseys so much, but like has been said the line counters work good once you dial in the right amount of line to hit the active fish. I do it all the time. Use enough weight to get to the bottom and stay there. Generally if waves less than 1 ft 3/4 oz bb, 1-3 ft waves 1-2 oz bb 3+ waves 3 oz bb. You just want enough line so that the bb is skimming the bottom not dragging along the bottom. THe mud it kicks up helps attract fish. I also run long leader worm harnesses, like 4 to 6 ft long. I have found them to work better than the shorter ones, but is a matter of personal choice. Good luck, I am also at meinkes west, b82. ch 68 when fishing.

troy
    summer huntin

Along the same lines, has anyone ever used the slow death approach with bouncers with any success? If so, does it seem to be better, worse or the same as a crawler harness?

Thanks for the input guys.troy I'm in west annex campsite 45 dock 228. Thanks again

no problem. will be down sat 6-15 in pm for perch/walleye afternooner with wife. give me a shout on 68

Would like to be there,work everyother sat.will be next weekend 6/22. Then back 7/5 for 10 days vacation.