New to board & to trolling New to board & to trolling New to board & to trolling New to board & to trolling
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wakina. Don't the tattle flags add another clip to the rear of the board? I've seen videos showing ways to rig the Church boards that the front clip pulls off and the pin and rear clip hold the board in place, keeping the board from fighting you and the board from sliding down to the sinker/bait.

I will just bring a bucket along when I'm setting these up in the garage and try to get the tension set right. I'll remember to wrap the line should the clips begin to wear out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try to put it into practice and get some good reports for everyone soon. I'm going to order an additional set of boards to help determine when a board is getting hit. Hopefully that link leads some of you to a good deal!

Good luck and stay dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote " Don't the tattle flags add another clip to the rear of the board?" Unquote

Yes they do add that black clip that is pictured in those Cabela's adds. It attaches to the slider wire that goes to the flag!

One more thing those flags are designed to tell you if there is a fish on your line or if you have picked up weeds or some other foreign object causing the flag to release or go down. In order for the flags to operate properly you have to have enough slack in the line running from the front clip to the clip for the flag so when a fish hits the bait and becomes hooked the wire attached to the flag can slide back, if there is no slack in the line between the 2 clips the flag cannot move as the line will stop the flag from moving.

I prefer to keep the board from coming off of the line clip and to retrieve the board to the boat still attached to the front clip, then remove the board before continuing to reel in the fish, once you learn this method it is easy as the boards come off quickly, just remember to keep tension on the fish while you are leaving go of the line after the board has been removed and you should have no problems. So if you are removing the board you would have to release the front clip , the flag clip and pull the pin to remove the board.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

For me in over 12 yrs of running inline boards, I use off shore boards. Church adjustable super clips http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/a...ip-436675.html I've replaced all of the clips once but use those for snap weights. I used braid for around half of those years, I fished walleye tourney's so there is a lot of hours on those. They hold braid without wrapping, are very easy to use compared to other clips. If you have to wrap your line for the clips you have, ( if your right handed) wrap your line around your left hands first two fingers with them spread apart about 1/2 an inch, now stick that double wrap into your clip, and your double wrapped.
    For your non-linecounter reels, point your rod towards the rear of the boat with your thumb lightly on the spool/lure in the water, swing your rod forward till your pointing at the front of the boat, that is pretty close to 20ft, do that 3 times, 60 ft. Get it? Works good.
    Some of these articles need to be updated, which I have but they stopped posting my articles awhile back so I stopped writing them and sending them.
    http://www.dwfonline.org/articles.htm
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Another away to tell how much line is out for a non line counter is to measure how much line comes off of the spool from one side to the other. Let's say the line spooling out from one to the other is 10 feet. Just count how many times from side to side to get to your depth. It is not exact but will put you in the ballpark. I used this method before I could afford line counters and it still caught fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinnAgain View Post
    Another away to tell how much line is out for a non line counter is to measure how much line comes off of the spool from one side to the other. Let's say the line spooling out from one to the other is 10 feet. Just count how many times from side to side to get to your depth. It is not exact but will put you in the ballpark. I used this method before I could afford line counters and it still caught fish.
    I saw a guy doing that on a Youtube video. Only problem is Dad's gonna be peeved he bought line counters when/if I tell him about it. I'm going to do this on my two reels without line counters once I spool them this weekend. Thanks for the info.