Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Kayak fishing erie

Ok guys i am an owner of a hobie PA 12 kayak and i do a ton of fishing with it,(inland lakes,reservoirs,rivers) however i do not fish erie(western basin) with it, but i plan on doing so. Has anyone else attempted this? I think my best option would be in the spring and fall when the walleye are in shallow and maybe at night less boat traffic. What do you guys think? any suggestions or tips

I am gonna say never unless that's what your into living dangerously ! Kayaks are made for smaller navigable rivers that's where I would focus on . JUST MY OPINION! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!

I would re think this a bit . Even on a good day that lake can get nasty quick . Today the water went from 1 foot or less to 3 to 5's in less than a hour . saftey first my friend .

The lake has claimed 2 kayakers this season already .

Default NO way!

Even when the walleye are in close it's still quite a ways out in the Lake.. Been out their 34 years and it can get real bad real quick.. I wouldn't recommend it but that's up to you!!! Wear a PFD and remember theirs NO fish worth dying for!!
    Good luck and be safe
    LOWE LIFE..

All I can say is 6-1-13 the water was not that rough, but coming back from Kellys my son spotted a kayak that I did not see.... could of hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    All I can say is 6-1-13 the water was not that rough, but coming back from Kellys my son spotted a kayak that I did not see.... could of hurt!
    Yes and they are 5 times harder to see at night(after Dark)!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thumbs down Not a good idea

Besides the weather being a factor, you risk being run over by power boats.
    If your kayak does not come equipped with a light, you should not be navigating at night.

I understand the safety is a big issue and their is alot more concerns on a kayak, as far as equipment i have an off shore radio, and a 360 nav light, PDF, flair, strobe, whistle, and fish finder with navigation. The kayak fishing sport is getting pretty big i know its alot bigger in michigan where they hold salmon derbys out on lake michigan and alot of guys on the coast fish the ocean. I wonder why its not popular on erie? Maybe because of how quick the conditions can change on the lake and/or the boat traffic?

The wave action is different in the ocean and Lake Michigan. Erie has a different type of wave and can get you in a jackpot in a heart beat . There are plenty of inland lakes around to fish for walleye . I know you didn't put out all that money with out researching this and your mind is made up . Be carefull and have a safe season .
    Last edited by POPEYE; 06-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.

waterdog Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by eriecaster View Post
    I understand the safety is a big issue and their is alot more concerns on a kayak, as far as equipment i have an off shore radio, and a 360 nav light, PDF, flair, strobe, whistle, and fish finder with navigation. The kayak fishing sport is getting pretty big i know its alot bigger in michigan where they hold salmon derbys out on lake michigan and alot of guys on the coast fish the ocean. I wonder why its not popular on erie? Maybe because of how quick the conditions can change on the lake and/or the boat traffic?
    I would stay very close to shore, and never venture out at night in something that small. Lake Erie can get nasty real fast. Be safe~!