Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie Kayak fishing erie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that you could easily get out to the K can area during jigging season and get some fish. I would want a rotating beacon though..that is definitely a high traffic area. May even take the ferry to Put in Bay or Kelly's island and be able to hang on downwind side of the island and paddle up some eyes with bottom bouncers or TT 40's out each side. Only thing with that though it will be tough to know how fast you are paddling. Then when you hook a fish on one rod I am not sure how you will keep your boat from spinning while reeling and tangling up the other line? I am sure that is the fun part to figure out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Some other thoughts:

At least here in the Central Basin we have a good summer near shore Smallmouth fishery. Might be a good situation for using the kayak.
    Another idea is using the kayak to fish around river mouths and up in the rivers during the steelhead runs.

jon1962 Guest

A safe area is all the wetlands behind sterling state park, just south of there which can be accessed by a channel between the detroit edison plant and sterling state park. Google map it and you can get a better idea of the area. This is Brest Bay area... but you are really not out in lake erie.

Post Thanks / Like

Troll with kayak out of rocky river all the time. Run single rod with cranks down to gold coast. Get good numbers of eyes, smallmouth and huge sheephead witch turn the yak around! Also took kayak across on ferry to kellys on memorial weekend and did pretty good doing the same in north bay . Had to wate till saturday on that one till wind let up.I always wear life vest and bright clothing. Haveing a pare of those buda plastic fishing pliars really makes handleing those fish at the boat nice. You wont need net if you have those. Most boaters are cool when they see you. If i am unshure if they have seen me I raise my yellow blade paddle. My kayak is a 12 foot axis dagger. In bigger waves the drop skag on this yak staightens the boat for more controlled trolling. As far as speed I can pretty well tell by rod bend but I do carry hand held GPS witch also has Lake Map witch is great for following a depth line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    I would think that you could easily get out to the K can area during jigging season and get some fish. I would want a rotating beacon though..that is definitely a high traffic area. May even take the ferry to Put in Bay or Kelly's island and be able to hang on downwind side of the island and paddle up some eyes with bottom bouncers or TT 40's out each side. Only thing with that though it will be tough to know how fast you are paddling. Then when you hook a fish on one rod I am not sure how you will keep your boat from spinning while reeling and tangling up the other line? I am sure that is the fun part to figure out though.
    the thing with the hobie is what they call the mirage drive it is foot propelled so you are hand free all the time other than moving the rudder and with the fishfinder/gps i have it is pretty easy controlling speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post

Lol......you forgot about the planner boards!

Post Thanks / Like

Add a flag to your yak. Pick your days and go early or late for less traffic. take a,buddy Sounds like your rigged good already. You'll get some strange looks and even more when u show your catch. I dont fish the islands, I'm down between cranberry and Rocky river. I run everything but dipseys on mine. Have a ball catching lots of fish and get some excercise in too. In the end just Make yourself visible to the guys who may not be paying attention and use your head. Ive already drove to lake and never launched. Have fun and post some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend in Fla. who is bringing me a pedal fishing kayak. He is a pro and has fished the ocean and caught many tuna off of his kayak. Be very aware of the weather and do not over-estimate your ability. Go for it! This is the same common sense for all boaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled a couple 26 and 28 eyes today dragging Rr 35 and 40 back. 23 fow off vermilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Pulled a couple 26 and 28 eyes today dragging Rr 35 and 40 back. 23 fow off vermilion
    Jeff, Dave sent me the pictures, nice fish. You two are about the only ones I would think of catching walleye, trolling RR's in Kayaks.

TIN CAN (FAB)