fishing line knots fishing line knots fishing line knots fishing line knots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fishing line knots

been struggling with this one question for a couple of years now and have not done anything about it so now here i am open to all of you here.

while chasing them marble eyes, how are you all tieing on the line, say the worm harness and all is it ok to hook up to a swivel or not, same question for hooking up to trolling set ups

thanks for all the help in advance

Yes use a swivel.

half Pole thanks for your answer !

So then im assuming then that it will have no effect then on the movement or actionn on the blades of the gear id be using right, thats was my concern and few of my friends had wondered the same. common sense says that the line twist will effect things if i did not use a swivel

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe10 View Post
    half Pole thanks for your answer !

So then im assuming then that it will have no effect then on the movement or actionn on the blades of the gear id be using right, thats was my concern and few of my friends had wondered the same. common sense says that the line twist will effect things if i did not use a swivel
    Use a quality swivel. You are exactly right your harness would look like a birds nest without a swivel. Use a palomar knot on braid and your preferable knot on mono or flouo carbon.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

use a coastlock or duolock swivel. common snap swivels tend to pull apart with bigger fish.

ah very good then Wakina and Coolyfarm thanks a lot i shall take all into account from here on out and i was using the wrong swivels as of now and have had exactly that happen to me lose a big one on bad swivel. thanks again everyone

Believe it or not, I had 4 swivels pull apart at the barrel this Saturday! Only time this has ever happened to me. I generally only use ball bearing swivels but in haste Friday before I travelled up, I made up 15 leaders to get us started in the morning. As I keep 95% of my tackle on my boat, all I had we're size 2 barrel swivels and some 17lb fluorocarbon at home. I was shocked when 4 got pulled apart! We fished nw of west reef. Pulled 19 with at least 5 lost, and one fish Ohio at 28 3/4" my personal best.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

I always use a swivel when running harnesses or spoons. just keeps the line from twisting up.

nice island-runner thanks for that input ill be sure to use good stuff and nice catch this weekend i wasnt so lucky only 3 on the boat with four guys at it. what was the magic that worked for you if i may ask ??

We ran spoons behind tru-trip 40's. color didn't seem to matter much. Purples, pinks, chartreuses, and golds all caught fish. We started with 40' leads off the big boards. That only boated us 1 eye. Switched to 50' leads on the port side and 25' leads on the starboard as we were marking fish fairly high as well as low. Both sides produced. We worked the break line around west reef from 27'-32' of water. Speed was an even 2.0 mph speed over ground.

We did run bottom bouncers with harnesses straight off the stern but they didn't produce a single fish. Not even junk fish. After dragging them around for a few hours I ended up pulling those rods of the boards as well. I had 3 buddies with me for 4 men total. With no broken swivels and a few rookie mistakes, we would have had our limit, which would have been my first boat limit. Maybe next weekend!
    Last edited by Island Runner; 05-27-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s