5/21 Night fishing 5/21 Night fishing 5/21 Night fishing 5/21 Night fishing
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 5/21 Night fishing

night fished again between 1100- 1230 and ended up with a very nice 3 man limit .8-10ft of water once again . Love the sound of fish splashing around you chasing bait . Casting deep little rippers did the damage again . dont understand why more prople do not night fish Erie . So quite and no dealing with other boats. So peaceful and quit .
    Good Fishing .

where were you at?? I would LOVE to try doing that this week

OK you dangled the carrot. Care to elaborate a bit??

Default Night fishing

Will be coming to Marblehead 5/28, never night fished but sounds like fun, any idea where some good spots to start would be in that vicinity? Also looking for an evening charter for two people on the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy2010 View Post
    where were you at?? I would LOVE to try doing that this week
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    OK you dangled the carrot. Care to elaborate a bit??
    You guys.. aren't truly being a fisherman since you can't find and catch your own fish...

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    I remember the days of going out and finding your own fish and catching them . Thats why it called fishing not catching . So many people count on the reports because of being lazy and not truely knowing how to fish . The only way they catch fish is by running to other peoples spots . That is not truely being a fisherman if you cant find and catch your own fish .
    Disagree all you want but wrong is wrong no matter what !!!
    Good Fishing

he wouldn't want to spoil your fun by telling you where they are.....he thinks you should find your own fish or you're lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    he wouldn't want to spoil your fun by telling you where they are.....he thinks you should find your own fish or you're lazy.
    Exactly. And you guys don't want to be lazy non-fisherman do you?

LOL....Freddie posted it while I was typing.

I'm quite confident I can find my own fish!

Default Night Fishing

I have night fished the Islands area for about 60 years now and here are my thoughts to your questions. To begin with, yes it is one of the most productive methods of fishing you can use there now. Keep these thoughts in mind.

1. Find the shallowest water you can that is surrounded by deeper water for the fish to come up from.

2. When you pick your spot anchor, do not drift.

3. longer minnow type crank baits such as count down or floating Rapalas. work great. Keep your retrieves ultra slow.

4. Oraganize the boat before it gets dark so you know where things are. Don't move around too much with other guys casting around you, it gets dangerous with those big lures in the dark.

Places that come to mind are the south side of the rattles at Rattlesnake. again get in close about 5-6 feet of water, the reef west of North Bass on the hump about 5 feet deep. Close in on the north side of North Bass.

Usually just after dark in these areas you will encounter smallmouth then the walleyes. and as mentioned you will hear them on the surface. They will work very shallow water and on top feeding. I usually find the best fishing to start about and hour after dark. It is not uncommon to have a limit of fish in a half hour.

Oh and check your line and retie if need after every fish.

Keep two lights handy, one small one for working on you lure line etc. and a big one in case something bad happens and you need to see a guy in the water etc.

Hope this answers at least some of the questions, above all safety is more of a concern in the dark than on a bright sunny day.

TIN CAN