casting casting casting casting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting

Default casting

Hey guys i just read a few of the reports looks like you are tearing things up out their great job. I read alot of reports on trolling i plan on getting out this weekend and doing my thing (casting) anybody doing anygood on the reefs?

Default Casting

I'd love to get better at casting. My boy was just telling me how he didn't get to feel a single walleye on his rod this spring. Now it's trolling time.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Default technique

Bottom bouncers been the best the last couple weeks. 3-4 cranks up once the weight holds bottom then bring it up. Casting methods takes so time to figure out. Keep 3 or 4 weights in your pocket and 2 or 3 different blade types. Different counts, the start of the retrieve and the speed you turn the crank of the reel. Always slow to medium wind, sometimes slow until the rig comes around the swing then stop and hold for a and let the blade speed up as the boat pulls. Its not science like trolling seems to be for some people. Casting for walleye is true fishing and its the traditional way to catch and feel the bite. Dont be afraid to call and ask how I am working the drift if I am out drifting that day. Everyday is different out there. I always have 1/2 , 5/8, 3/4 oz and sometimes 1 oz weights in my pocket and a small bag of blades to interchage on the rigs. Figure out what works, kind of what you have to do when guys troll. Speed, depth , color, and how you wear your hat on your head. Hope this helps some.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

As gregwtf says - bouncers have been the best thus far. I have found that willow blades in diamond cut gold to be the best so far. I cast 99% of the time. Haven't trolled in 2 years. I actually use my trolling rods for bouncers so that when I start to catch them, I am able to put the lure back to the same exact depth using the line counter on the reel. I am usually on the lake 2 days a week. Usually Saturday and then one week night. The best casting blade I have had this year is a #5 colorado bait fish blade in silver and green with a gold back with yellow and green beads. Most of our casting bites have been in the 5 - 10 count zone. If you want, call me anytime and I will pass on info that I have. 419-356-2581 (Paul).

How long of harnesses are you using? I am tying mine at 24 inches to use with bottom bouncers. Is that too long?

36" - 38" for bouncers

18" - 20" for casting

Thanks for the info i wrote your numbers down may be hearing from me this weekend i run out of wild wings and the name of my boat is the reef beater i dont get up all the time to keep up with the fishing thats why i love this site so much everyone is so helpful. Is their a radio channel by chance that the guys typically use from this site or does everyone have their own thing. Also how long are your harnesses for botttom bouncing?

PZieler just answerd my last question while i was typing lol

Quote Originally Posted by eriecaster View Post
    Thanks for the info i wrote your numbers down may be hearing from me this weekend i run out of wild wings and the name of my boat is the reef beater i dont get up all the time to keep up with the fishing thats why i love this site so much everyone is so helpful. Is their a radio channel by chance that the guys typically use from this site or does everyone have their own thing. Also how long are your harnesses for botttom bouncing?
    Walleye.com channel 71. Trolling channel 79 ... perch channel 68

Skipper9, if you ever do a walk-on casting tip, text me before posting. I'm always looking to learn new things.
    I'd have never caught a walleye if it wasn't for you. Appreciate all you do bro.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.