Too Damn Rough Too Damn Rough Too Damn Rough Too Damn Rough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Damn Rough

Default Too Damn Rough

Went out of Catawba St. Park this am. Was going to try to hide behind the islands and see if we could pick a few. Turned around about half way there, at 6 mph we had waves breaking over the bow, can't believe there wasn't a SCA posted. I would call the waves 3-5 ft steady with a few 5-7's thrown in. My kid will be on leave from USMC next weekend, I hope the weather cooperates then.

Same Here. We left out of Fenwicks at 6:30 and I knew it was bad when when I passed a few charter boats coming back in. They definitely should of had a SCA but I went out a mile and turned around and listen to NOAA radio tell me lake observations were waves 2 feet or less. He should of been with me when the 7 footers were rolling over the hardtop. HAHA. Par for the course this year. Just another great day of East winds. BE SAFE!

It takes me 2 1/2 hours from leaving Warren OH to putting my boat on the ramp at Catawba S.P. so I need better info than what some government computer is telling me on the marine band before running up there only to turn around and head home. Before leaving home I check the current conditions at two sites: NDBC - Station SBI01(South Bass) and NDBC - Station 45005 (out in the lake) for current wind and wave conditions and any possible negative trends. I also check Accuweather radar putting patterns in motion. I do listen to the marine band in the car enroute for what it is worth. I've been in hurricanes in Texas and near tornados and in severe thunderstorms right off Port Clinton and it is better to be safe than sorry. I had every intention of fishing out of Catawba today but at 3:45 AM after checking 'things', I rolled over for a few more ZZZZ's. I hope tomorrow and the coming days are better. God knows we fishermen can use them.

Default Too Dam Rough

I also check the two weather stations (SBI01 and 45005) before I go out and canceled Friday's trip before we left home. Over many years I've noticed a couple things and wonder if anyone agrees. Since 45005 is a bouy and at water level, I trust its wind readings, but wish it was a little closer to the islands and reefs. I do not always trust its wave height readings, but wind speed and direction pretty much tell you what the waves will be. On the other hand SBI01 is on land and elevated. It seems that its wind readings are often on the high side. The exception being NE winds during which SBI01 always seems low. For instance, on Friday (May 17) SBI01's sustained wind speeds were almost all from 11 to 13 mph while Vermillion was in the upper teens and Toledo Light house (THL01) was in the 20s. From what people are saying about the waves, it sounds SBI01 was low. I think that's because SBI01 is on the SW corner of South Bass Island and gets some protection from the island itself when there are NE winds. Anyone else noticed the same?

We left out of Catawba state park at 6:00 am Friday morning and it was 2-3 footers. By the time we made it to west side of Green Island it was at least 3-5 footers. The waves were flipping my boards upside down. We broke down and went to bass Island and ran up and down the shore pulling meat on inline boards and pulled 10 nice fish. We had a good time almost punched both our tickets and fished in 1 footers the whole time. 2 oz inlines with harness 40 back. Literally 200 yards off shore out of those east winds. I know there was an occasional 6 or 7 footer on the way back in yesterday.

When it comes to wave heights off Buoy 45005, I use the 2X factor. The number you get will be closer to the truth. It's weight and inertia will not let it float on top of the waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    When it comes to wave heights off Buoy 45005, I use the 2X factor. The number you get will be closer to the truth. It's weight and inertia will not let it float on top of the waves.
    good post!....

Default Bah!

Checked two weather sites and wind/wave forecasts before I left the house at 7am. Was telling me east winds at 13mph and waves 2ft or less, subsiding to 1ft or less. Hauled the boat up to the Mazurik and got bait along the way. Sunny and beautiful on the way up, but as I sat at the ramp, I went "holy crap" I was looking at 3-4ft'ers easy. There were six others sitting the prep lane waiting for the waves to come down. Some broke out lawn chairs. Saw a few bigger boats and one or two smaller ones go out. Their boats were up and down so much that you could pretty much lose sight of them when they were in the troughs and that was from an elevated position!

The wind slowed down and the lake started to flatten out. I almost took the tie-downs off, but decided to turn on the NOAA VHF station. I heard "Waves 2-4ft increasing to 3-5ft" and something about a "stalled front bi-secting Ohio". Looked at my fishing partners and said "we're going home". $40 for gas in the truck, $12 for shiners/worms, 0 hours on the lake. GG lake, you beat the weathermen/observers to a pulp this time.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

For wave heights I figure 1 foot wave/ every 5 knots (assuming nothing blocking the wind). So, when I hear 15 knot winds, the waves will be around 3 feet.

I never rely on forecasted wave height. iWindsurf and the bouys are usually pretty close on wind speeds, so just do the math yourself. You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

Obviously, with S winds the waves will be less in closer to shore.

John

That sounds like a very good way to look at it. 1 foot wave per 5 knots of wind. I like it. Thanks for sharing this.