inline weights or jets? inline weights or jets? inline weights or jets? inline weights or jets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default inline weights or jets?

Guys:

any issues with using inline weights or snap weights with spoons instead of using jets? I already use the weights with worm harnesses, and have had good luck with them. Any advantage to using the jet divers?

Thanks!

Default Divers

I would not call myself the most experienced troller, but I had more luck with dipsey divers and tadpole divers with spoons. I use inline boards and the jets seemed to want to pull them too hard/ pull them under. Therefore we started using the tadpoles ( I would get the larger size) and directional diving dipseys ( without the inline boards). In my opinion, as long as the bait is at the right spot in the column, I would use whatever works best with your equipment with consideration of what requires the shortest leads. Although I have never trolled with "big boards" I think jets would be more applicable for them.

I have always had good luck with using in-line weights.
    In the western basin, it is shallow. (30ft) or less.

You can cover the water column easily with 2 oz.

I would agree that divers are very effective when running big boards. I do both.
    I Like the Tru-trip divers over Jets though. The addition of a release makes them work better for me. (easier to retrieve)
    I have seen a modification to the Jet divers to add a release.

A 40 Jet is nice because it dives fast and keeps your lead lines shorter...
    It makes turning easier with short leads.
    If you are using in-line boards (church,off-shore, etc) a 40 Jet is a bit too much.

I guess I would say, they both work great, just depends on the setup you are using.

I just started using the 40 Jet Divers off the Walleye boards by Church without any problems as long as you keep your speed under 1.8 mph. Confused Blond and Blond Chick Scorpion spoons back 35 to 55 are working for me as well as DDRR Chartreuse Wonderbread on a flat line back 100' plus. I'll be near Rattlesnake tomorrow. Call me on Ch.79 if you get something going and I will do the same.

i ran Tru trips behind offshore boards last weekend at 1.7-2.1 without issue in 2-3'ers wasnt an issue. But we really never up into the mid 2's either.

I. Have doing very well in the Morning with 2oz weights and jets in the afternoon.. the in line weights are easier to catch them high fish in the morning.. 15 to 30 foot back allows me to catch all those high fish you cant see on the fish finder... so keep in mind just because you dont see fish on the fish finder does not mean there are no fish there... good luck

Is there a chart on which lures and weights to use to run high like that, Jim ?
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Thanks for the replys guys. I think we will stick with the snap weights and skip the expense of the jets for now. We use the redneckoutfitter.com chart for depths and pretty much just use 2oz weights. Just trying to keep it simple and minimize the variables. We are new to this and dont want to get overwhelmed with the variables.

Like everything else, there are days where the fish prefer one over the other. Last couple years I painted my inlines black like the black/purple mini's I find to work the best and those inlines have worked better being black. It seems the attractor, inline, jet or mini can be color dependent due to water/weather conditions. The jets give you the advantage of floating when slowing down or stopping or even in sharp turns. And then tend to dive more to the same depth every time with given line out where weighted systems depths are more speed driven. I run 40 jets behind my offshore boards without a problem same with the mini disks. I modified my jets with releases. Day in day out I would rather run inlines due to the ease but the fish just won't have it on some days.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

In the rocks or on the reefs or edges of the reefs I think the jets and tru-trips shine. I say this because if your leads must be longer than the water depth, and if you must slow down or stop to net a fish, make a turn or to avoid another boat the in-line or snap weight will sink and can snag in the rocks since it is further from the boat than the water is deep (example~~30 ft. lead in 20 ft. of water) = Murphy's Law!

Jets and tru-trips both tend to float up or stay neutral in those conditions so I only fish with the divers anymore so I don't have to change back and forth to fish on the rocks or open water and some days I will fish both on the same pass. As for jets and tru-trips off of small boards I have had no issues with either the regular Jet 40's or the tru-trip 40 divers at speeds as high as 2.5 GPS. The small boards are much easier to read with tru-trips than regular jets because once the tru-trip diver releases/trips the board pulls entirely different even with a small fish hooked. I use the Church Tackle TX-22 boards.

In open water I think they are both about alike, the difference depends more on the configuration of the weight as the configuration can change the tracking and action of the preferred lure.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip