Help choosing a boat Help choosing a boat Help choosing a boat Help choosing a boat
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Betcha Guest

Default Help choosing a boat

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences on the following boats. Looking to upgrade from a 21 foot trophy.

26 foot Striper Walk around
    24 Boston Whaler
    25 ft Hydra Sport Vector

Would you recommend getting outboards? It seems like most boats now come with outboards vs I/O. If so, would you recommend large single or twins. Heard plus's and minus's of both, just curious to anyones experence.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default boats

went on charter that was was a boston whaler it was all right just didnt like the center consile

Post Thanks / Like

Great questions. The Hydrasport is a boat I have fished off of. It was in the Gulf of Mexico in a good chop with a single outboard. I think it was a 250 hp Yamaha. Great boat. The Boston Whaler also has an incredible reputation. The Striper line is up and coming with a solid repuation as well. I like outboards as you have no through hull or transom outdives etc.

Twins vs a large single. A large single is usually a little more efficient due to less weight but twins offer the chance to get in if a motor fails.

Whit's Whaler Guest

Default BW Outrage 24

Betcha,

I fish out of a Boston Whaler 24' Outrage (center console). My boat is a 1996 with twin Yamaha 130 outboards with counter rotating props. It is a really stable fishing platform. Like anything else there are positives and negatives about any boat. I like having duel outboards if you have a problem with one, the second one will get you back to the dock. But you are feeding fuel to both when you are running (I troll with only 1) and at $4/gal the price adds up. Mine has a 180 gal fuel tank so "filler up" takes on a whole new meaning. There is also plenty of floor space behind the pilot seats to fish (and my wife likes to lay on the bow deck and tan while we troll...which has its advantages as well). BW's are know for their stability when seas get rough so I have alot of confindence to go out and fish and know I'll get home.

Downside/s are that it's an open boat with no where to get out of the weather (I will probably add a T top and side curtains to mine to solve that problem). My outboards are 2 stroke, so their noisy. 4 stroke OB's would solve that problem. The newer BW models (after 2000 I think) have some nice emenities that my boat does not have; fold away stern seating and intergral live bait well in the stern bulkhead. Like mine the newer models have in floor fish boxes or live wells, raw water wash down pumps, rod holders, and everything else you would ask for in a fishing machine.

The only other knock to BW's is that while they are extremely stable and safe in rough water the lack of a "deep V" hull bangs you around a bit. I have especially noticed this in Lake Erie's "bath tub" like waves coming from every direction. They are probably designed as more of an offshore boat to take on the larger swells and waves seen in deeper waters. I fished in Lake Michigan and the Gulf of Mexico and it has performed fantastically.

Overall, it is a great fishing machine. I give it a B+ on Lake Erie. Its downgrades would be its open design (which is great for fishing, but it is nice to be able to get out of the weather), its large fuel tank (again great to have when fishing offshore but tough to stomach at the pump), lack of a severe "deep V" hull which makes it a little rough (but extremely stable). In general as an offshore fishing boat I give it an A.

Good Luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 23 wa seaswirl that I love. The only difference is that I have a i/o not an outboard, but the way the boat is set up the engine housing is pushed into the back of the boat so it does not get in the way. I always fish 4-5 people on my boat and there is plenty of room and it handles the water very well, it also gets very good gas mileage, at cruise I go 27 mph and I burn 11 gph. I had a centerconsole before and I would not go back unless I was fishing on the ocean. Good luck in what you buy they are all nice boats, it just depends on how much money you are willing to spend. You might also consider a polar, they make a 23 and 26 wa model and the price is very good with a single big screw or twin screws and the performance is very good from the reports I have read. I know there are a couple local dealers in southern michigan and northern ohio. Good luck on what you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2301 seaswirl wa, with 200 o/b and absolutely love it. I fish 4-6 people most of the time plenty of room great fishing machine. I have it rigged with 4 riggers, planers, great for lake erie walleye and lake mi salmon. Take a look at the cobo boat show when it comes to town, great deals. Good on gas as said in a previous reply by someone. And a plus, the wife loves it!

HUNTER Guest

Hello I have a 2000 26 foot sportscraft center counsel twin 150 merc's on the back. overall length is 33' with engines down. I would highly recommend a cc boat with twin outboards. I have the confidant's to go anywhere on lake erie knowing that i have an extra engine back there to get me home if something happens to the other one. As for the waves so far it has handled 6 footers with ease. (I was still able to run at 15mph.) I know some cc boats do not have a deep v, try to stay away from them. The engines are 2 stroke, I would try not to get below 150s on the back. These merc's will push the boat at 55+ mph but I still wish I would have had larger ones on the back, (for the reason of less strain on them, when your running at cruising speed) I have owned many boats in the past and this by far has been the best for lake erie and would highly recommend it. ( try to keep away from teek , cushions and carpet, easier to clean)

Post Thanks / Like

Get a boat you like. I would stay with the good old inboard. You can set on it and stay dry. It is out of your way when you are fishing. Outboards stick too far out the back to get tangled in. Less moving parts. cheaper and good gas mileage if there is such a thing. Had many boats and helped build a center console. I have a 23 sportcraft i/o that does the job 302 duo prop volvo. If I would change boats I would go with a baha or sport 25' inboard. Your are spending the money so get what you like and buy from a good dealer that can back the warrenty work and most important they must have people who know what they are doing. If you go with hard top you can stay warm and dry. That is important to me for lake erie. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 26 Stripper walkaround in 2006. I love the boat and it fishes great. I have the I/O easy on gas 9 gallons per hour. Trolls great at idle speed. I have to use a drift sock if I want to go slower than 2mph. The boat rides nice and has a cuddy cabin with a portable toilet. I don't like the outboards they tend to get in the way when netting fish. I have the Alaska package with the hard top and really like it. If you have any questions about the boat just ask.