Fellas this is just a rant but may be helpful for others.

I bought a Lowrance HDS 5 unit in the late fall of 2010 for $499. My boat has an enclosed cabin and is stored indoors during the winter. Due to the fact that I live 2.5 hours away from the lake, I am a weekend fisherman so the unit has less than a hundred hours on it. Needless to say, this fish finder has been gently used.

This weekend I took my boat out of storage and prepped it for the season. My Lowrance unit fired up at first but then shut off heading into East Harbor. I tried the normal troubleshooting checking fuses and voltage with all leads coming back normal. I called the Navico which owns Lorwance and their warrantee only covers their product within a 2 year window. If you are out of warrantee, you can send in your broken unit and they give you minimal credit towards the purchase of another RECONDITIONED unit or the option of using your credit towards an upgrade of a higher end reconditioned unit. I asked if they could repair mine and the answer was no. My situation is one thing being that I spent $499 dollars but the fella’s who are looking to acquire a HDS 10 unit for over 2k may want to think twice about a company who will only stand behind their product for 2 years.