Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sunday 7/6

Whit's Whaler Guest

Default Sunday 7/6

Date Fished: 7/6
    Depth: 30 - 34 FOW
    Speed: 2.2 - 2.6 mph (GPS)
    Method: Dipsies, Downriggers and Spoons, Dipsies #3 40-45 back, #2 35-40 back, downriggers back 150' down 18-20'.
    Spoons: Stinger and Stinger Scorpion spoons, Darker Color Patterns were most productive (Shrimp, Monkey Puke, Blueberry Muffin).
    Catch: 40 Walleye (Kept 3 man limit of 18 fish all 3 to 5 lbs)

Trolled north south line east of West Sister away from all of the boats. Active fish seemed to be suspended at 18 to 20 ft. Outside dipsies were most productive, catching 80 - 90% of the fish. Fished all day just because it was such a perfect day to be on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post Whit. Sounds like alot of juevenile fish much like the catch of 2005 from the hatch of 2003. Always good to hear of a strong hatch. Those fish generally stay suspended and migrate behind the mature if at all. If you are landing more small fish, drop down a little deeper to target the larger ones. I would suspect the garbage fish to be just above the young eyes and matures to be just below. 5 days my brother!!!!!!!!

Whit's Whaler Guest

Smile Weekend

Spoon,

We caught alot of fish on Sunday, but I have to say I was surprised by the number of young fish (and happy too, previous year's hatches must have been pretty good which bodes well for the next few years). All of the fish seemed to be suspended together between 18 + 22'. I tried going above and below the zone and had no luck (very few trash fish either). Didn't matter, it was a beautiful day on the lake and we were catching fish, what more can you ask for?

Can't wait until Sat/Sun. I have the guys at the barn checking over the boat this week to make sure everything is up to snuff. I've got a little downrigger maintenance to do on the ride north, broke a wire on Sunday and didn't have time to fix it when we came off the lake at 9:00pm.

I'll be in touch.