Back to fishin the big lake after 18 years Back to fishin the big lake after 18 years Back to fishin the big lake after 18 years Back to fishin the big lake after 18 years

Default Back to fishin the big lake after 18 years

OK... someone said this is the place to ask questions so here goes. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I fished around the islands all the time. I got pretty good at jigging for fish early on the reefs and then catching them with the old Erie Derie lure. I then did some bottom bouncing with a worm harness and even invested in a planer board outfit. I then did a stretch of 16 years of spending 2-3 weeks every summer strictly jigging for walleye in Canadian lakes. Now I am retired and I want to get back to fishing in Erie. I live south of Cincinnati, and the bad weather this spring has kept me from driving that distance to visit the lake. I am planning on coming up from 5/10 to 5/16.

Where is my best chance to catch some walleye and what tactics do I employ?
    It appears from my reading here that jigging the reefs is about over.
    I have camped from Magee, near Wild Wings, to Kelly's Island. Where should I start this year?

I'm thinking a couple of weekend nights at private campground Magee, then moving over to East Harbor or taking the ferry to Kelly's during the week. Any suggestions as to fishing locations, tactics to use now, baits and camp spots would be much appreciated. thx...

Default welcome

I will be fishing out of wild wings this Friday and Saturday if you want to give me a call I will tell you what I have going on. I am sure you can give the other captain's a call and they will help you out with information as well.
    614-354-0652

You will probably still be able to jig up a few eyes around the reefs this weekend but yes the jig bite is about to wrap up. The fish will be (and are now) all around the reef complex and the islands. Trolling worm harnesses, crank baits, and stinger spoons all produce fish. Listen in on vhf channel 79 an you'll here what's going on.

What type of boat and planer gear do you have? That would help us give you better info. as to what you can do.

By the way, I am in Maineville about 20 miles north of Cincy near Kings Island. They need to move the lake closer to us.

I don't know how you could go wrong just staying on Kelly's the whole time. There's fish with in a mile on every side of the island right now.

Greg

I will be fishing this thursday and friday. Be glad to help. 419.235.6735 or spoonfeeder on 79

Blog Entries

Default fISHING AROUND kELLYS

What do you think Bottom Bouncers and harness around Kellys this weekend ?

Same here on the date and tactics. I will be pulling harnesses around Kelley's this weekend as well. Fish should be all around the island. Ch 79 "Island Runner". Built two new boards that I should be able to ride on and just got me two new 60" Beefy Bags that, I must say, exceeded my expectations of quality and workmanship. Will be using harnesses and snap weights on the 50/50 program and a bouncer or two straight out back. Boats been in for month and a half and have yet to have time to get up there and fish. Can't wait to get out and give some new gear a test run. Good luck to all!!!
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s