Big boards Big boards Big boards Big boards

Thread: Big boards

Default Big boards

Hey fellas I just purchased a set of redwood boards from amish outfitters and was wondering if I should put some braces on my mast. I have a 6ft. mast and only about a 3 inch collar mounted to the bow. I have been using the boards that came with boat and they are about 18 inches long and they don't pull hard enough. I have not had any problems with the mast moving with those boards but I'm afraid that the new boards might rip it right off. Does anyone else run the amish outfitter boards and have any advice or reviews of them. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default board pull

Just a thought....they may pull harder than you think, Id put a cable or rope from the removeable mast upto the front of bow rail if possible to keep tension off the original mounting hole of boat. You dont want to get out there and have a problem once you start catching fish. Maybe use some nice clamps from a hardware store or the home depot, something that can be attached and unattached quickly...ron
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

Quote Originally Posted by rsfrail View Post
    Just a thought....they may pull harder than you think, Id put a cable or rope from the removeable mast upto the front of bow rail if possible to keep tension off the original mounting hole of boat. You dont want to get out there and have a problem once you start catching fish. Maybe use some nice clamps from a hardware store or the home depot, something that can be attached and unattached quickly...ron
    I agree with this statement whole heartedly ,I would also put a cable with a turn buckle between the two masts for extra strength . I run 6 to 8 50 jets on my side and they put a lot of extra strain on the masts especally when making a turn and they are on the outside . Also check the backing plate where it bolts through the deck .

Thanks for the info. I have a collar mounted all the way forward on the bow as I can get it and it has a 8x12 steel plate underneath the wood to help. That said I don't have enough room to put cables with the turn buckles. I was wondering if anyone uses some type of push brace. I was thinking of putting 2 push poles going to the gunnel, one on each side? Does that sound sufficient