time for a new boat time for a new boat time for a new boat time for a new boat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool time for a new boat

I need everyones help. I've narrowed my choices to either an Alumacraft Trophy 195 with 150 horsepower Yamaha 2 stroke or a Tracker Targa V18 with 150 horsepower Mercury 4 stroke.Really need input from fellow members as most of us concentrate on fishing Erie and that's where the boat will spend its life. Thanks in advance for any comments. Jason

Default targa 18

my dad bought a targa 18 wt with a 115 four stroke brand new in 2011. he traded in his 1988 21 foot sportcraft on it and we absolutely love it! it has a ton of storage, everything that was in the 21 foot sporty with a cuddy fit in the targa. we were skeptical that the ride would be poor due to the weight difference between the two boats but the targa handles big water pretty good for only being a 2,000 pound boat. It is very easy to get on and off the trailer. the only complaint we have is after you drain the livewell and rinse it out, there is always a little water left in it because the drain grommet is about a 1/4" or so above the bottom of the tank.. we use the livewell to put our walleye in then before we leave we cut them to bleed out then on the ride in with the water sloshing around in the tank it helps pull the blood out of them. Also when they built the targas they moved the windshield and consol forward to make more room in the back of the boat. We can fish 2 guys off the front and 3-4 guys in the back and there is always enough room to move around. just something to take into account. i have never fished on an alumacraft so i guess im partial to the targa but it has been an awesome boat for us.

hope this helps

if you do a lot of western basin fishing, i would look at the draft of any new boat
    i am always nervous with my i/o out west as im' sure you guys already know better than me and you are a lot more informed about out boards.
    i just thought i would throw the "skinny water " thing out there
    best of luck on your decision.....

I bought a tracker 175sc last year and love the boat. Has 4 stroke 90hp mercury. The boat is wide and the deep v is nice for lake erie. I run out als harbor just north of wild wings and going out Saturday morning. Your more than welcome to check it out. The nice thing with tracker boats is they are designed for fishing and ready to go when take delivery.

I can't help much with the difference between the 2 boats, but I will say I will never have a 2 stroke again for the fumes, especially if you troll.

I will say this. Was at ramp early this week. Guy had a 150 4 stroke. Couldn't hear it running. I hear good too. Just saying. I have a 200 2 stroke. Ya know when it's running for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I can't help much with the difference between the 2 boats, but I will say I will never have a 2 stroke again for the fumes, especially if you troll.
    I agree 100%, got a Suzuki 4 stroke and its sweet.

Default 4 stroke

With dads targa he got the 115 four stroke for the fumes and also u don't have to worry bout buying oil and losing an oil injector while on the lake. The four stroke he has is super quiet. Dropped it in one morning and there were 2 - two stroke outboards running, one on each side, I went to park the truck came back jumped in thd boat and grinder the starter cuz it was already running. I'm not sure wat the advantages are to having a two stroke but if u are going to troll with it I definitely say get the four stroke u will not be disappointed. The new mercury 4 strokes also are very easy to change the oil in the spring. Just tip the outboard down and to the port side, take out the drain plug and out comes the oil. No mess in the motor housing. Then just change the filter and add oil .. 20 minute job. Just my opinion good luck either way

I have a 2003 targa 17 and would not trade it for nothing. Handles the lake no problem. To me it's a no brainier, Tracker Targa all the way

I have a 2000 Targa 18 with an I/O and it has been really good. I use is almost exclusively on Erie. The I/O has a closed loop cooling system so all I have to do is put a little bicycle air pump on a valve on the heat exchanger and I can pump the raw water out. I can fish all winter just like with an outboard. The I/O also gives me a nice casting / netting platform in the back. I was really worried about buying this type of boat with this type of motor but it has worked out fine. It rides a little high in the front, but I've never taken a wave over the bow!
    I do have some questions about some things like the livewell plumbing, etc. so it would be great to keep this "targa owners thread" going so we could compare notes. does anyone have an owners manual?