Jigging Question Jigging Question Jigging Question Jigging Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging Question

First - I fish out of the Eastern Basin. Our walleye season does not open until the first Saturday in May. Night fishing seems to be the main and only way to catch walleyes when out season opener occurs. At this time of the year, our lake temps run about 10 to 12 degrees colder than what the Western Basin has.

Have been reading with great interest the fishing reports that are being shared on this site in regards to the jig fishing bite. Have never tried to jig fish during our early season and have decided to commit to trying it.

After reading these forums and watching some of the videos available on You Tube, still have some questons.
    * What are the specific techniques being used for this cold water bite. Is it a lift to 12 o'clock or is it a rip from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.
    * It seems that for this year purple seems to be the hot color. However, I haven't heard if that's an all purple jig. Would appreciate to hear if that purple is with other color combinations and if so, what works best - purple on the top of the jig or bottom.
    * What color for the jig head itself.
    * Jig weight to use? As I understand it the Western Basin fishing is occuring in an average depth of 10 feet, yet I have seen some post claim that they are using 5/8 to 1 ounce jigs in that depth of water. To me that seems to be way to heavy for that depth of water. If that is the weight you are using is it employed with some specific technique.

Do appreciate your time and consideration in helping me in my quest to use this technique in my Eastern Basin waters. Go to go - received my bucktail jig mold yesterday and I have to start casting some jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

When jig fishing the western basin in the spring we are fishing over the spawning grounds. The fish are mostly males, and I believe are defending their territory from intruders. It is a reactionary bite.

Two basic techniques. Vertical jig while drifting (hence the 3/4 to 1 oz). Second is cast and retrieve, bouncing it along the bottom.

This type of jog fishing is unique because of the large number of fish spawning here. It is totally different than normal walleye fishing with a jig. Not sure how well it will work at your end that time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Youtube

Go to Youtube.com and type in Erie Jig Fishing. There are several videos that pop up that show and explain the Western Basin spring jig bite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Jig Fishing

Jig fishing is a total blast in the early spring I highly recomend driving down and getting with one of the captains on this site there are some who offer walk on charters and most of the guys who get together on these trips are other experienced lake Erie fishermen who may have not put there boats in yet and want to get out for the early jig fishing, the price is well worth the knowledge you will receive and also the 4 fish you will take back with you . Also there has been many time we have limited out in an hour or so and spent the rest of our time fun fishing watch this site for good conditions and whats hot When its good We will make the drive from Columbus Oh I'll leave work at 3 pm and were in the water about 6 and catch our limits and be back home by 11 pm ,try it you will be hooked !