Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind Direction that doesn’t produce fish?

We're planning on fishing next Thursday-Sunday, with the added expense of fuel, lodging ect... I would hate to come and get blown off the lake with North East winds. I'm hoping someone with lake experience can tell me which
    winds to avoid and what MPH really turns the lake into chocolate milk and shuts down the walleye.

Thanks

Boonie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind

When it comes to Lake Erie you have got to expect wind... The question is how much wind is to much?? That's up to you.. I have gone out in 4+ waves and limited out in no time.. I also been out in big waves and didn't catch anything..Depends on how far along the fish are in the spawn, water temp, ect..I just figure its gonna be windy, and cold when I go out and I'm hardly ever disapointed.. Be safe and good luck
    LOWE LIFE.

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP.....Anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind

Lowe life is right ... In the spring you can almost guarantee there will be wind. It just depends on your comfort level with the lake and your boat. I have also been out there in waves and northeast wind that when the waves break over , the spray blows off the top and have ended up with a limit.. Then I've been out there and fished for hours with a light west or south wind and brought home one or two. A lot of how the fish react in my opinion has to do with a number of things... Water clarity, water temp, sun , and boat traffic,.. Morning bite seems to be better at first light, but why? How many boats do u see out there at first light? Then once everyone gets out of bed the fish move off the reefs or get sturred up from all the boats constantly moving around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished the lake in about all types of conditions, one thing I have learnt is boat speed is critical, if you can deploy enough drift socks to get slowed down to under 2 mph its the perfect speed for jigging, as well as finding cleaner water is always helpful, with a northeast wind, I try to find the seam along the back of the islands, or I stay in close, the wind plays an important role in the bite, the clarity makes it easier to locate your bait as well as big shiners...However I havent baught a minnow in 7 yaers, its uneccesary and I dont have time to bait, the fish are hungry get that 3/4 jig on the bottom bounce it a few times and liftgently any sign of a snag set the hook, any resistance at all set the hook, and i use stingers as well, its best to cast and work with the waves let the boat do the work, wind is a plus for me, otherwise the lake goes dead....hope this helps