any advice would be great any advice would be great any advice would be great any advice would be great
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question any advice would be great

Coming up to the lake at the end of the month , was wondering if it would be better to put in at port Clinton or up toward Toledo. the other question I have is, what is the best way to fish for eyes in the spring . thanks be safe

Post Thanks / Like

If you're coming in April yet, I would just fish out of Turtle Creek or Wild Wings. If you're a rookie, there should still be plenty of fish with in several miles of shore. You'll just need some jigs and you'll be set. It's the easiest fishing and would be good to get your feet wet.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default advice

I agree with greg and you can stay close for being new, also if you want to cut your curve go out with one of the great captians on this site and see how and where its being done-"get some trade secrets". a certian capt. knows what im talking about. Its only 80-100 dollars, and to haul your boat and gas with docking it will probably cost that or close to go. If you want to troll call skipper 9 and he will give you a great trip if he has room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAD KARMA View Post
    I agree with greg and you can stay close for being new, also if you want to cut your curve go out with one of the great captians on this site and see how and where its being done-"get some trade secrets". a certian capt. knows what im talking about. Its only 80-100 dollars, and to haul your boat and gas with docking it will probably cost that or close to go. If you want to troll call skipper 9 and he will give you a great trip if he has room.
    Excellant advice .Especally on the trolling aspect ,get a good hands on service,ask alot of questions and you will you will learn more on that one charter than you would in a few years of trial and error on your own . Plus save yourself time,money and ageravation .

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Agree

I do agree with the rest of thge guys about a charter..but if you are getting here the end of the month ..i just drop my boat in at turtle creek,,went out with 2 friends 3hrs later we had our fish..with purple ..and john deer green jigs, both got fish..i was in 12 ftw,,,1 drift sock out....i think maybe a mile out and 1/2 mile over out of my dock

mmakingpayments ch 71 .....russ

Post Thanks / Like

in my opinion as cool as its been the end of the month the jig bite on the reefs should be hot. but thats not saying you cant catch fish trolling. some of the bigger fish are going to be caught trolling. or you can drift around the reefs in the deeper water and have a good chance at some bigger fish. and dont be afraid to try fishing shallow. some of our best fishing was using a 1/4 oz erie dearie. so try all depths untill your catching fish, then fish where your getting fish.
    sherman

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help, we will be up the first week in may. Is there a certain private charter that u recommend. We are coming back in may also , thanks again all.

Post Thanks / Like

there should be a list of charters that sponcer this site somewher on here but i dont know how to find it. you might try the search feature and type in charter caption.

another good way to learn is to ask for open seats and or watch for them to be posted and fill the open seats. you can learn alot about where and how to fish by going out with other fishermen.

i made friends with one guy on another forum and he,s invited me and my son to come up and jig fish with him next weekend. we know nothing about jig fishing the reefs but were going to go. im sure we,ll be catching some fish and going to school. and most of all we,ll be meeting new friends.

and if this works out and im pretty sure it will he may just invite us to go up trolling with him later in the year. i do have my own boat and start fishing the central basin in early july. but it costs us a small fortune to take my rig up to fish. if i go a few times with somebody elce, im going to school and going cheaper than i could go and it helps them out with expences also.

when i first started fishing erie we followed some friends up to the western basin. we followed them out on the lake and they told us how and where to fish, and we did just fine. but that was the late 70,s and it was so easy to just drift with gold or silver nuggets and catch your limits. as the water cleared up from the zebra mussle fishing got alittle more complicated.

then when we moved to the central basin we took out a charter. then the 1st trip with my boat we took the charter out again on our 1st day. its really a good thing we took out that charter. we didnt know anything about using dipsy divers. after just 2 trips on the charter i could run 3 divers per side and then 2 downriggers and 2 outriggers without just having a big tangle. it would have took me years to have learned what i did in those 2 days. i,ve been fishing the central basin now for about 10 yrs and i still have so much i need to learn. i took a charter out last year on the 1st day of our trip. besides learning alittle more about catching fish we had a good place to start our fishing.
    sherman

Post Thanks / Like

You could contact capt. jim of eyehunter charters or capt dave of fast action charters. Both are great, and offer walk ons when available. Both are members of this site. I have fished with both of them, and they will put you on the fish !

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a few walk-on's with Reel Sport Charters. Caught lots of walleye and had a blast. Look up Wayne Johnson on this site. He and his son Captain Mike really know their stuff and put us on fish. And From all I read, Skipper9 and his Eye Hunter Charters is also hard to beat. Good Luck