Not Good Not Good Not Good Not Good

Thread: Not Good

It is best to check the source of the story. It has told us nothing that we don't already know and is not new news! It has only been rewritten from a fear mongering perspective. Here is the organization this was released from.

http://www.takepart.com/environment

Do I think the Asian Carp is a serious threat to the Great Lakes? Yes I do! But the article in question is nothing more than the viewpoint of one of the environmental organizations using the very same news that we have already received to bolster their position in our society through fear mongering. Just Say'n!

Kindly read this article and look especially at the date it was written/released.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...29b4fb96a0a18b
    Last edited by wakina; 04-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    It is best to check the source of the story. It has told us nothing that we don't already know and is not new news! It has only been rewritten from a fear mongering perspective. Here is the organization this was released from.

http://www.takepart.com/environment

Do I think the Asian Carp is a serious threat to the Great Lakes? Yes I do! But the article in question is nothing more than the viewpoint of one of the environmental organizations using the very same news that we have already received to bolster their position in our society through fear mongering. Just Say'n!

Kindly read this article and look especially at the date it was written/released.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...29b4fb96a0a18b
    I wonder if you had the same thoughts in regards to the other 100 or more invasive speices that found there way into the GL. BTW, I hope your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishon51 View Post
    I wonder if you had the same thoughts in regards to the other 100 or more invasive speices that found there way into the GL. BTW, I hope your right.
    I know that you are concerned and so am I. I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention again. It is easy to forget or ignore the facts if not constantly reminded. I never questioned your motive or concern for this matter but do question the motives of someone who would write an article using the same information that was released several months before and twist it to make it sound like it is based on new information such as the carp are already in the Lakes, none have been found to date as far I have been able to determine only some DNA which is plausible.

Almost all, if not all of the invasive species to enter the Great Lakes System in the last 50 years and probably longer have been transported here in the Ballast tanks of the freighters entering the system via the St. Lawrence Seaway system. They were already in the system and starting to establish populations before they were even discovered to be present in the Great lakes. Unlike the other invasive species the Asian Carp is different, we know where they are and how they can get into the Great Lakes. That is not to say that the present threat is not serious because it is. It presents a different problem, one we have not faced before and one far greater than the previous ones if they get into or are already present in the Lake system. As far as I have been able to determine through reading the material and studies that have been done there are only 3 ways for these fish to enter the Great Lakes system. Through the Illinois River, a flood plain in Indiana where the Maumee and Mississippi drainage systems overlap and mix during certain flood conditions and by being deliberately planted into the system by man. The main threat is the Illinois River which was connected to the Mississippi river by man several years ago by a series of man made canals and locks to allow barges access to the Great Lakes from the Mississippi.

Had just a little thought been used by the agency(s) that allowed these fish to be imported and propagated in large numbers we would not be having this worry about these fish entering the Great Lakes system at this time. They allowed the breeders of these fish species to build their propagation ponds in the flood plain of the Mississippi River system which was fool hardy at the very least! When the series of levies, dikes and earthen dams that were installed to contain the Mississippi River were breached in the early 2000nds by the great flood of that era that is how they were allowed to escape, they were no longer contained within the ponds but were washed into the River system by the flood waters. Those ponds should not have been allowed within the flood plain of any river system contained or not.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip