Western Basin Reefs Western Basin Reefs Western Basin Reefs Western Basin Reefs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Western Basin Reefs

Guys, I'm new to Erie, made it up twice last fall perch fishing with my new boat. Can't wait for the weather to break. I know that most of the reefs in the Western Basin are within the extended Camp Perry danger zone. Do they restrict access to this extended zone very often? I'd hate to make the 3 hour drive only to find out the area is closed for the day? Do they announce a day or more in advance when they are going to close access?

im not sure when they announce it i just go from what im told at the camp from the locals. I know this dont help you because your traveling but if you do find your self in this situation (others correct me if im wrong) but i believe you can still fish niagra reef it sits right outside the danger zone

waterdog Guest

Default Camp Perry Range info

http://community.walleye.com/album.p...&pictureid=281

Here is the link above to a document posted by me on web site.

Hope this helps.

Default reefs

The firing range zone 1 cuts right through the middle of several of the main reefs I fish. There are a few reefs just outside that area that are still very good. You dont have to just fish the reefs during April, shoreline areas are loaded with walleye early and mid month. Crane Creek to Wild Wings area close to shore is rocky bottom with zebra muscles and a mix of sand. Early April you can start as shallow as 6-9 ft. 13 ft is good almost the whole month. The reefs hold alot of fish nearly all year as I fish them at different times. Early May you can still haul in some huge eyes that are still around, so its not just spawn and head deep. I have done real well on the reefs late July and into August. As the water slowly warms, the fish slowing move to deeper water.
    A marine radio is very important as you can get weather info and Camp Perry info. There have been times that they will shoot at night also. Study a map of the area, get familiar with a few reefs and the depths around them and go for it. Some of the local bait shops post a few tips when you get bait. Some of the reefs get very shallow and hitting a rock up top is possible. Crib reef is a skinny water reef. Safety First !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

My Hot Spots map indicates Crib, Toussaint, Flat Rock, etc. are in Danger Zone II. Is area open for fishing most days?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Z's View Post
    My Hot Spots map indicates Crib, Toussaint, Flat Rock, etc. are in Danger Zone II. Is area open for fishing most days?
    You will ok on them reefs, I will NOT fish Crib reef to shallow. If you go out of Wild Wings you dont have to go far.

They very seldom choose the big zone... usually only the very close zone. It wouldn't be of concern to me. And like Greg said, most of April you can slam the Jack's within a mile or so of shore in front of turtle creek.

I dont think you will have a problem...just go out of wild wings and stay to the left towards turtle creek and youll do great...hair jigs with nothin and a stinger is all you need....Good fishing and good luck as always you can keep up to date with the bite from me on facebook or on here or you can always call me 319-981-5433 and i go by IOWA CHARLIE on 69....

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Z's View Post
    Guys, I'm new to Erie, made it up twice last fall perch fishing with my new boat. Can't wait for the weather to break. I know that most of the reefs in the Western Basin are within the extended Camp Perry danger zone. Do they restrict access to this extended zone very often? I'd hate to make the 3 hour drive only to find out the area is closed for the day? Do they announce a day or more in advance when they are going to close access?
    Here is a map with the danger zone's, I hope this helps! As you can see most if not all of the reefs are outside the danger zone 1 perimeter.

http://wbsa.us/denied/range_map.jpg
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Good map, Wakina.
    Last year was my first year on Lake Erie. When I would hear the warnings on the radio, I would just leave the whole reef complex area. I had no idea.
    Now I understand a little better what the danger zones are.
    Thanks again.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.