Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiggle Warts

Default Wiggle Warts

I was cleaning the boat and going through my gear when I found an old box of baits. Back in the 70's my father and his friends frequently limited out (then the limit was 10 per person I believe) trolling long lines with wiggle warts. I haven't used one for years always trying the "latest and greatest" and doing well trolling.
    Does anyone still use wiggle warts? I have many "new in the box" baits my father left me but never thought to try them.
    I thought I would give them a try this year in memory of the fun times I was able to share with my father on Lake Erie long lining walleyes.

Yes they work good. Thats all 1 of buddys uses to troll

Any colors that produce better than the others? These are mostly silver and gold colored and a couple of different sizes

many years on the western basin we only used storm lures. hot n tots wiggle warts flat warts rattle warts wee warts and we caught a ton of fish on all of them. there was some days we wouldnt be doing so good and stick some of the wee warts on and bam we were catching fish. they work good when the fish are up high. but the wiggle warts work best at mid ranges. then the hot n tots seemed to work better for deeper fish.
    sherman

Thats Great news, how far back should they be running?? It was so long ago that we used them I don't remember what my father did.
    I appreciate the help and I will keep you posted on my success in late April and May

Default Storm Lures

If you have the Precision Trolling book it gives you all the dive curves for Hot-N-Tots and Wiggle Warts. I've used them for years and still do. They can be a real producer when nothing else seems to work. Golds,silvers and most colors seem to work plus the perch and crayfish colors. Wiggle warts are my favorite as they seem to track better. Good luck fishing with them.

Default 3/4 oz Magnum wiggle wart dive chart

The depth you run them will depend on the depth of the fish.

If the fish are suspended you will want to run them just above them as Walleye feed upward. (You will see them on your sonar attacking bait fish from below) If you cannot see the fish, but can see the balls of bait they are feeding on, run the baits around the same depth as the bait.

I think this should be pretty close with 10lb mono.

They are listed in my old Precision trolling book.

You will need a line counter to be precise.

3/4 Magnum Wiggle Wart

Depth Feet Back
    6’ 19
    8’ 22
    10’ 30
    14’ 48
    18’ 92
    20’ 114
    22’ 136
    24’ 168
    26’ 220

Default Priceless

My best day-in day-out hot-n-tot from 80's is AH545 light solid gold with red eyes.Have one left, seen one on E-Bay small size $20 cannot find this rare color anywhere!Sunlight reflects(light gold color) off top metal bill long distance almost like sword effect.8lb fireline 300ft straight back.

Smile

Gosh. Haven't seen a Wiggle Wart in a long time. I have a scad of Wiggle O's but they only get down 12-15 ft. They do catch fish. Especially the Chrome & Blue. Need to start stopping at estate sales for old time fishing supplies. Maybe even find a Gold or Siver Nugget. ;-)

Thank you so much for all of the replys. I have probably a dozen WW's that my Dad left me I think I saw a Blue n Chromr big one. I know he caught pike on it never considered Walleye.

I'l post my sucess stories come May when i can hit the lake