Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts Wiggle Warts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiggle Warts

Quote Originally Posted by Just One More View Post
    Thats Great news, how far back should they be running?? It was so long ago that we used them I don't remember what my father did.
    I appreciate the help and I will keep you posted on my success in late April and May
    when we used the wiggle warts so much on the western basin we didnt have line counter reels. we just let them out somewhere between 100 and 200 ft and trolled them. if we wasnt catching anything we would just try moving them in or out another 50 ft. i have caught fish with them out probably 200 to 250 ft behind the boat.

using line counters would really be a big plus. that way if you start catching fish you can repeat the same amount of line out. but i have always fished erie on a tight budjet. when i moved to the central basin i had to upgrade to line counter reels. and i started using downriggers on lake michigan back in 77. and i started with home made, then moved up to the factory made ones. i used manual riggers untill about 3 yrs ago. then i bought my first electrics. it was just getting to hard to crank the 13 lb weights i use with the manual riggers.

and yes i used downriggers on the western basin and caught tons of fish trolling harnesses on them. and i still use 2 riggers on the central basin. its a great way to get 2 more lines in the water. and i,ve fished the harnesses in tight at times. as close as 7' or 8' from the ball.
    sherman

Default Warts

I have used wiggle warts probably since they were first introduced, not trolled but cast in water 20 ft and under. I have caught countless eyes on a slow retrieve in shallow water around the islands. Don't forget to try them on the reefs They are magic in the evening and slow and shallow. I still have 5 or 6 of each color made. Never used the magnum much just the standard. One of my favorites is a little silver scale pattern Flat Wart. One word of caution if you get these out and use them make sure to protect them from prolonged direct sunlight especially if they are laying in a clear box and closed up. They will heat up and split down the back.