In the starting gate In the starting gate In the starting gate In the starting gate
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile In the starting gate

I have it on good authority that the ice has cleared from the ramps at Catawba State Park but the docks are still sitting on dry land but that should not stop a crew of two or more from launching at this time. One sits in the boat while it is backed into the water deep enough to lower the unit and start the motor. Then that person backs the boat free of the trailer and proceeds to the fishing pier while another guy parks the truck and trailer and proceeds to the pier where his ride awaits. Upon their return with a cooler of 8 walleye, someone jumps on the pier and brings the trailer to the ramp. If the trailer is positioned properly, the captain can steer the boat right onto the trailer which can then be pulled up just enough to hook the bow and no one gets their feet wet. Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 03-13-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: word change

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great! My version of the proceedure goes more like this...

I put the boat in the water... My dog or kid falls in the water near the ramp.
    We go fishing anyway. We catch fish. DNR just looks the other way while shaking his head at my dog who jumped off the boat again.

This is why I just dock my boat as soon as the marina will let me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default done it both ways

Went down to far on the ramp and the rear axle of trailer droped over the end of ramps concrete slab , had to jump in and dive under trailer with a rope then two of us pulled trailer up with the rope while having one of the onlookers drive the truck forward any way got the trailer free I dried off put back on my clothes went fishing October water is cold
    ( a 300 lbs man who has just taken off all his clothes in October at a boat ramp draws quite a crowd )

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy In the starting gate.

Before I attempt to launch my boat I need some clarity. Were you at Catawba State Park and if so when? There are 4 ramps and I try to use the one to the east, that's the one to the left as you are facing the ramps. I never had problems all last spring but that was last spring and this is this spring and things do have a way of changing and not always for the better. I'm anxious to hear from any of you after you have ventured out from Catawba. I will report as soon as I get back from my first trip. Hopefully it will be this weekend. Right now I'm going to check my boat coverage with State Farm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default over the edge

No I was not we were at a ramp here in Columbus Sciota River

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    Went down to far on the ramp and the rear axle of trailer droped over the end of ramps concrete slab , had to jump in and dive under trailer with a rope then two of us pulled trailer up with the rope while having one of the onlookers drive the truck forward any way got the trailer free I dried off put back on my clothes went fishing October water is cold
    ( a 300 lbs man who has just taken off all his clothes in October at a boat ramp draws quite a crowd )
    OMG I did the same thing last August at the Vermilion ramp. Dove down grabbed the back of the trailer and dead lifted the trailer while my wife drove the truck forward until the wheels got back on the ramp. Went fishing and filled the cooler.