Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Good ramps for rookie

I'm the proud new owner of a well used 24fter and I can't hardly wait to try the reefs this spring. My first trip out in her will be in the western basin and I'm not reel familiar with the ramps there. I'm out of Lorain. First time launching and retrieving so I need to make it as painless as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You guys are really a great help on here.

Keep the trailer as close as you can to the dock...under a foot away. I launch and load our 27' and it's really pretty painless. Just walk the boat off and on. The worst thing is getting the bow hooked. I usually go up on the nose and then down to the trailer, but usually end up with wet feet lol. If you've launched a lot of boats, it won't be as difficult as you think. Good Luck!

Greg

pay attention to how far or deep in the water the trailer needs to be when reloading then you will know for the next time theres usally someone around dont be afraid to ask for help if needed

Last year was my first year with a lake boat of my own, so I completely understand your apprehension. I tried launching from a few places last year and found Mazurik to be the easiest. Wild Wings was probably one of the toughest due to its setup and the fairly narrow channel runout, plus it was windy both times going out of there.

I would highly suggest Mazurik for a few reasons. It dumps right out into the lake with no runout. I had no problems with wind, waves or manuvering the boat while coming back to the ramp due to the well positioned and ample size breakwater. They give you ample room to launch (plenty of room to get your trailer where it needs to be and jockey it around to get it there). There is lots of parking and even on the busiest days in the summer, I have only waited two boats deep to launch.

I haven't launched from Catawba State Park, but I would imagine that it is probably about the same setup as Mazurik when it comes to ease of launching. You may want to look into Catawba SP due to it accessing closer to the reefs off of Camp Perry (cone, etc...). That is my plan this spring. Perhaps someone else can jump in with thoughts about Catawba SP?

You will be just fine if you take your time and think through what you're doing. I bought a handleheld GPS online for $69 to mark the breakwater entrance when I set out. Then I was able to follow the arrow back until I learned how the water towers on land looked compared to where I was wanting to come in at. If you don't have a drift sock (aka: sea anchor) yet, I would suggest getting one. Make sure you have good anchor with plenty of rope.

Good Luck!
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Default first timer

I launch my boat instead of having a dock and i agree with bcan man the only other thing i would throw in is if your boat is hard to load or you are aprehensive dont go at the busy time of day there are a lot of d-heads out there. I usaully try to help people if there having problems or the older crowd with ther boats and i have seen "dock rage" many times. The best dock i think for first timer if you woried is on catawba at state park on buck rd.there is only 1 ramp and no one uses it because it costs 7 dollars, but they have people there to help and nice bathrooms, and a place for coffee and breakfast if you like.

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by bigtracker View Post
    I'm the proud new owner of a well used 24fter and I can't hardly wait to try the reefs this spring. My first trip out in her will be in the western basin and I'm not reel familiar with the ramps there. I'm out of Lorain. First time launching and retrieving so I need to make it as painless as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You guys are really a great help on here.

Ramps are easy. The single best piece of advise I could give you is STAY AWAY FROM CRIB REEF! Please don't ask how I know!

That is great help gentlemen. Are their any ramps to be leery of because of the shallow water? I know that has been a big concern recently. Feel free to lend me a hand out there if you see me struggling...I'll definitely return the favor if you come to the central basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    Ramps are easy. The single best piece of advise I could give you is STAY AWAY FROM CRIB REEF! Please don't ask how I know!
    The Can (#7 bouy) marking Crib Reef is a good ways kind of NE from the dangerous spot, which will raise H**L with your under water boat structure. And again please don't ask me how I know!!!!!!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    The Can (#7 bouy) marking Crib Reef is a good ways kind of NE from the dangerous spot, which will raise H**L with your under water boat structure. And again please don't ask me how I know!!!!!!
    You got that right! That (#7 bouy) is nowhere near the trouble spot. There is something VERY LARGE down there just southwest of Crib. I would ask my lower unit what it was, but it's gone! lol

Catawba State Park is my ramp of choice from ice out till mid-June when I move to Cranberry Creek Marina and from there in mid July, it's Geneva State Park. 4 ramps and almost always someone offering to help. Wait to launch after 9 AM if there is a tournament. If possible be on the water at sunrise. There are over a million walleye within 7 miles of Catawba. All these ramps are protected from the wind. Establish which way the wind is blowing so it will push you against the dock and back in slowly, as close to the dock as possible, with bumpers deployed. I feel bow and stern lines are a must. Note your position and depth of the trailer when your boat starts to float. That's where you want to be when you run your boat up on the trailer upon your return with a cooler full of walleye. Over the years I have perfected running the boat on the trailer with just enough power and speed to get the job done and with practice you can too. I might suggest you find a ramp close to home on an inland lake that is not busy and pracitice. I'm sure you will get the hang of it in no time. FYI: Cranberry has only one ramp and it's steep. On the other hand, Geneva has 6 ramps and are the best. Catawba and Geneva have no launch fee.