Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    Catawba State Park is my ramp of choice from ice out till mid-June when I move to Cranberry Creek Marina and from there in mid July, it's Geneva State Park. 4 ramps and almost always someone offering to help. Wait to launch after 9 AM if there is a tournament. If possible be on the water at sunrise. There are over a million walleye within 7 miles of Catawba. All these ramps are protected from the wind. Establish which way the wind is blowing so it will push you against the dock and back in slowly, as close to the dock as possible, with bumpers deployed. I feel bow and stern lines are a must. Note your position and depth of the trailer when your boat starts to float. That's where you want to be when you run your boat up on the trailer upon your return with a cooler full of walleye. Over the years I have perfected running the boat on the trailer with just enough power and speed to get the job done and with practice you can too. I might suggest you find a ramp close to home on an inland lake that is not busy and pracitice. I'm sure you will get the hang of it in no time. FYI: Cranberry has only one ramp and it's steep. On the other hand, Geneva has 6 ramps and are the best. Catawba and Geneva have no launch fee.
    One final thing that needs to be done or at least checked and that is put the drain plug in the boat or make sure it is already installed!!!!! It would shock you to know just how many people forget this one simple step!! Reason is that most people take it out to drain the water out and to keep it from accumulating water in case it rains while still on the trailer in storage or while transporting to the point of launch.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    You got that right! That (#7 bouy) is nowhere near the trouble spot. There is something VERY LARGE down there just southwest of Crib. I would ask my lower unit what it was, but it's gone! lol
    With this low water it may even damage the hull itself! I am sure it wouild be visable to locate it if there is a 10 mph NE wind. The wave would be crashing over the top of it and be visable to see.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ramps

I prefer Fenwick which is a nice gradual ramp. My buddy did ding his prop on something last fall using east dock ramp.

Let me know if you need help and if I am at the condo I will meet you at the dock and lend a hand.

lake condo for rent

http://www.vacationrentals411.com/vacation/23785.html

John

Post Thanks / Like

I use Catawba and Mazurik frequently. I'm 23 now. I only started launching and loading maybe 5 years ago. . Before that, my dad did everything, and the only thing I did was hold the boat at the dock while he parked the truck and trailer and came hurrying back.

1. Have a second person with you. Makes it much easier.
    2. Have a bow line and stern line on.
    3. Do a safety check! This includes having the drain plug in. Be ware, often times the Ohio Watercraft Patrol or even the Coast Gaurd will be present at public ramps and ask if you'd like to do a safety check. I suggest you do it, if they have the stickers. That way, if/when you pass inspection you get a sticker on your boat for the year and they will leave you alone the rest of the year.
    4. As a beginner, you want to go on the upwind side of the ramp, so that it'll hold the boat to the dock.
    5. As you or whoever backs it in, have the other person walk alongside with the bowline in hand.
    6. Back up slowly, and as others said, pretty close to the dock.
    7. When the boat looks like its starting to float, firmly press the brakes so that the sudden stop of the truck and trailer is enough that the momentum of the boat slides it right off the trailer. Have the person with the bow line tie the boat up while you go park your rig. It helps if the person who's walking with the boat while you're driving (or vice versa) is good with the boat so that they can move out of the way while you park, so that others can use the ramp.
    8. Hurry back. Pretty obvious but pick up the person who was parking the truck and trailer, without interfering with anyone who's launching or loading.
    9. Go limit out

Oh, and one thing I forgot.. doesn't hurt to start the boat up and make sure its running before you drive away in the truck and trailer. Otherwise you're dead in the water, taking up a ramp space, while the truck and trailer has to come back to load back up.

Loading up
    1. When there is a chance to drop someone off at the dock to grab the trailer, do so.
    2. Back it in, same way, close to the dock. Don't back in too far.
    3. Walk out in the water, or on the trailer, and pull the boat up on the trailer. Winch it to get it the rest of the way. DO NOT power load the boat onto the trailer - pretty sure that they still cover this in the boater's ed course.
    4. Pull out slowly!
    5. Pull the drain plug, secure the boat, and head home!

It isn't rocket science. More than anything, have patience. Patience with other boats who are either less physically able, or just don't have a damn clue what they're doing.

I say not to power load the boat onto the trailer, because at one public access ramp a couple years ago, there must have been a hole at the end of the ramp, and the trailer tires went off the end. It was like being hooked to a wall, the truck and trailer didn't want to come up the ramp. With too much effort, it came unstuck, but not before it slid the axle 6-8" back the boat trailer frame!!!

I drive the truck and trailer, my dad has the boat. I back it in while he walks alongside. I pump the brakes and the boat slides off, and he's in it with it running almost immediately. I park, and he comes and picks me up from the dock and we're off. After 5 years working together to do it, we've got it down and look like pros. The only time I get nervous is when there are lots of people watching me maneuver the trailer, which is silly because I've never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    You got that right! That (#7 bouy) is nowhere near the trouble spot. There is something VERY LARGE down there just southwest of Crib. I would ask my lower unit what it was, but it's gone! lol
    This made me giggle. Sorry for your loss

Most of all, thanks for the TIP! I may have done the same thing without knowing!

With the cost of repair to an issue like that, it could have potentially put me out for the rest of the season.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crib

Just wondering if that spot southwest of Crib is a hazard to navigation why doesn't the Coast Guard mark it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ramps

I'd say all good advice on this topic. My 2 cents is to take some time learn how to backup a trailer into the water.. I live by Cullen park and go down to see ppl "try" to back up and their all over the place back and forth 10 times just before they hit the dock with their boat trailer.. Just like anything you have to practice. I loaded my boat in 2 mins last fall. Guy behind me asked how'd you do that so quick??? Done it alot..When you boat is back on the trailer move off to the side to get it ready for transport.. Ppl get real mad when you sit their for 20 mins while they wait to go fishing! Trick.. keep 1 hand on the BOTTOM of the wheel, whatever way you want your trailer to go turn the wheel that way.. Good luck..
    Lowe Life

Post Thanks / Like

Default crib

Quote Originally Posted by Justretired View Post
    Just wondering if that spot southwest of Crib is a hazard to navigation why doesn't the Coast Guard mark it?
    That's a great question! There is a buoy out there by crib but it is NO WHERE near the danger spot.

As much as I hate to say it, with the water level low again this year, somebody is going to hit it. When I work on my boat this weekend I will pull up the exact coordinates of the spot where I was when it got me and post them here. It's a very expensive repair. Embarrassing too! But I am fairly new and it was a good lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like

All very good suggestions. Another thing to remember is to load your gear in the boat and unhook your straps, put the plug in and all the other little things BEFORE pulling down to the ramp. I dont know how many times I have waited on people to load fishing poles, coolers etc while blocking the ramp. Catawba and Mazurik are both great ramps to go out of.
    Imperial 24' walk-around
    17' Mirrocraft
    Lowrance Global Map 7600 HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justretired View Post
    The bouy tender is to large to move into the area where it is a hazard to the recreational boater, it is probably 70 ft long or larger and requires to much water so they put the bouy in deeper water to mark the area! Middle Harbor reef (Short Reef) just out side of West Harbor is another one where the bouy is several hundred feet from the danger spot. I knocked almost all of the blades off of brand new 4 blade michigan wheel prop on that reef.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-07-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS