2012 Walleye hatch 2012 Walleye hatch 2012 Walleye hatch 2012 Walleye hatch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry 2012 Walleye hatch

An excellent article was posted on November 22 in the OHIO OUTDOOR NEWS about the 2012 Walleye & Yellow Perch hatch, growth rates mortality etc.......
    contributing editor John Hageman, Ed

http://www.outdoornews.com/November-...than-expected/

I believe that is the article that eriepro is speaking of.

While the cold weather is making me long for an early spring and early walleye bite, I can see that it may be good for the future.

Rods are repaired, reels are re-strung, tackle is reorganized, new lifevests, drift sock and hook sharpener on the way. Ahhh! Is it late march yet?!

Blog Entries

That is an interesting article. We need to have our own database and report what the guys and gals that fish the lake on a regular basis and who belong to this site can report there catch data in real time instead of averages and hectar mumbo jumbo, I know these reports are needed. but think of this we are the people who go out daily we fish in all types of weather we troll cast jig, we handle the big ones as well as the small ones we open there belly and see what there eating , we see the various health conditions and most important have fished the lake for decades that data I believe is quite valuable . and needs to be added to the data that decides for more or less comercial fishing activity and catch limits.

Excellent article I honestly hope they are under estimating the numbers, but most likely not. This makes me think about why Ohio doesn't incorporate a slot limit for walleyes. I Know its is the mid length fish the healthy ones that produce the healthy spawn not so much the big hogs, is this not a big enough issue for the state yet? Personally this is something I would not have problem with, let the population get stronger again. Any thoughts on this matter? Why or why not? Just ideas thanks
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Excellent article I honestly hope they are under estimating the numbers, but most likely not. This makes me think about why Ohio doesn't incorporate a slot limit for walleyes. I Know its is the mid length fish the healthy ones that produce the healthy spawn not so much the big hogs, is this not a big enough issue for the state yet? Personally this is something I would not have problem with, let the population get stronger again. Any thoughts on this matter? Why or why not? Just ideas thanks
    You just proposed something that I had rolling around in my head. I think that a 2-inch to 4-inch slot limit starting at 20 inches would be a great idea. Any walleye from 20-22 or 20-24 would be off-limits. Would be the smartest thing to do. Why wait til the whole thing (fishery) goes to hell and then do something about it? A small slot limit now could prevent a huge one later down the road.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

I would have to agree about the slot idea...every big successful walleye lake seems to have one

I wish there was a study to see if it is a breeding problem, hatch problem, or growth mortality problem. Basically impossible to do, but when you think about it more than just the stars have to line up to get all three of those areas to be great to produce great numbers, and they are not sure of the exact area that lacks year to year.

the subject of a slot limit has been beat to death. there are 20+ million walleye in lake erie currently which produces trillions of eggs to be fertilized. The lake has changed from years ago and may not be able to sustain 40+ milliion walleye. The reality is, it may require fewer walleye in the lake to produce a banner hatch. Fewer walleye = more available food = higher survival rate. I believe the survival rate of the fry is the real issue at hand. Everyone thinks immediately that if you have more walleye, you have more fry, and you have more survival when you can actually decrease the survival rate with more fry if there isn't available forage to sustain the fry. Many factors involved here with the least significant factor being the amount of walleye currently in the lake.

Excellent point, it is about the fry that survive, I apologize for beating it more. I suppose well let the biologist and wildlife management team do their job and stick to ours, catching the fish!
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

Default 6 to one and half dozen to another

I believe this data and subject could be debated all day long and never get agreed upon. I don't have a problem with the slot limit but to me those r the best fish to eat. The 18-24" fish... I would have to agree with the idea of if u take out some of the fish the fish that are left have a better chance to find food and be healthier without the competition of that many more fish... I guess it's like deer hunting take out deer from the herd to keep the herd healthy... Either way I'm with dreamcatcher this issue is above my pay grade ill stick to catching fish and abiding to the rules.