Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spring Walleye Advice

Erie fever hit me again about 2 weeks ago. I've been so bad that my wife often just looks at me and says "boat". I'll start talking and she'll say "boat". I just smile, cuz I know she is right, I'VE GOT THE FEVER!

I mostly wanted to stop in here and say hi... So, errr, Hi! Hope winter hasn't been too hard on you all. Good luck to all of you ice fishermen and congrats on the big chill!

As stated last year, I have fished Erie for several years, but last summer was my first summer with a lake boat of my own. I have never been out spring Walleye fishing and have only the information that I have gleaned from online.

I picked up four hair-jigs (3 purple, one green) while I was in Port Clinton last week. Any other good rigs/lures that I should be equipping myself with for the spring bite?

I've been told that running about a mile out of Wild Wings and jigging will turn up plenty of walleye in the spring. I don't mind launching from Wild Wings, but it is definitely not my favorite ramp. I grew really fond of launching from Mazurik last fall, so can anyone tell me about the spring walleye fishing around that area or any area really? As I've said, I have THE FEVER, so let's talk spring walleye!

Blog Entries

Default boat ramps in the spring

Well I know what you mean about getin out I have not gotten the fever yet but its close as far as ramps I will wait and see where the reports are showing activity then put in as close to that area as possible I have a dock at Meinekes East however hope to see you out there in March last year the jig fishing was good from what I read on here so I hope to get out early next year

With the low water, you should pick your ramp location. If you like mazuricks, launch there, the run is not that far. Don't forget about the trolling around the "cans" if you want to go for some big girls. Besides the hair jigs, I'd suggest some of Jay's blade baits. I've bought at least 50 other blade baits over the years, and these just flat work alot better for me. They really do best when visibility is 6 inches or less, so use them in the muddy conditions, they are sold in around the Bessy area as of last couple years.
    http://www.mcssl.com/store/387222ea6...ys-blade-baits
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default ramp

we always launch out of turtle creek... there is plenty of room and 4 boats can launch at one time so you arent waiting in line all morning! plenty of room for parking and the channel run out is fairly short and the reefs are right out in front of the channel.. cant wait!! good luck

i like to launch at fenwick. if there biting in the bay then i use the public ramp out of meinkes.may want to add a couple black jigs to your collection did well on them last year

Don't forget Maumee bay! The fish are all stacked up on the humps and flats between Little Cedar point and Turtle Island. The closest would be Cullen Park, but a deeper ramp would be at Anchor point. From Ice out till about the first week in May.

Default spring jig

hey mblmike i also come from wards canal been there 30 years im at the ccyc docks now im afraid we might not get out do to the hump across the channel out by the cut my boats name is scotts waterbed 27 ft sportcraft whats your boats name. i heard they are supposed to dredge but was out there this morning and could see the mud across the channel. last year in march we were fishing crane creek in 8- 15 ft and crushed them and it was 80 degrees and i was in shorts hopeing for the same with deeper water

Default I make no promises!

Thanks for the info fellas. How does one work a blade bait? Is it jigged? Slow trolled/rolled? Any live bait used?

Still having the fever, I've decided to add a little science into my walleye fishing this spring. I went looking around for historical data of average water temps of the western basin and could not find any. I can pretty much find ANYTHING on the net, but that one stonewalled me, much to my dismay. Anyone have a site for those readings?

I recently got lined up on a GPS/Sonar combo that I'm stoked to get ahold of. It will be a big upgrade from my old fish finder and handheld gps.

Getting ready to order a drift sock and a few new type III vests. I'll stave off the fever til late march, but it's gonna cost the wife some money and I make no promises after the 20th!

It is Jigged much like a hair jig. just off the bottom. You pop the jig up about 2 feet and let it down slow as to not get it tangled up.
    Also be Careful of the hooks on a Cicada. They are the sharpest damn hooks!

You can go on Youtube and search on 'lake Erie jigging blade bait'

You will see a demo.

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.