Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice Spring Walleye Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blade Baits

I watched that video that you posted. Just jig it like a hair jig

Gonna have to constantly remind myself when I'm out not to snap-jig while walleye fishing. I used to snap-jig while bass fishing all the time. I suspect that it is going to be a very old habit that will die hard.

Will look for some blade baits when I'm up in Port Clinton next.

I got the fishing gear out of the garage this past week and started re-organizing the tackleboxes and re-stringing a few reels. Need to get out to WalMart and buy some more SpiderWire (love the stuff for my perch rod).

I currently have 12lb mono on my 6.5ft Shakespear Medium action spinning rod. Is mono ok jigging this manner or is there a VERY common other type of line I should string it with? Wondering how Spiderwire would do for jigging?

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid on all my jigging rods, mono for trolling, personal preference. I've tried quite a few brands of braided line, I just buy from here now, actually the past 10 + yrs.
    http://www.ffo-tackle.com/
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

braid it will be! thanks

trolling the forums today since i scheduled oral surgery before the walleye run, which made 2day surgery day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default jets while drifting

A few years back I was perchn with a buddy in july when we hit an early limit and decided to drift a bit for walleye. We were up around west sister and dragging bottom bouncers with harnesses. i hooked 4 with 3 being nice keepers. this has gotten me to thinking...

on a good day, i can get a .8 to 1.5mph drift going. would jet divers operate ok with this kind of drift? the Daydreamer has the mount for a kicker, but the funds wont be there this year for the 9.9 to 15hp i want on it.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been following the advice on this thread closely. I've never fished the Spring on my own. Only on a charter.
    Skipper9 will probably get tired of hearing his phone ring from me soon. lol
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B can man View Post
    on a good day, i can get a .8 to 1.5mph drift going. would jet divers operate ok with this kind of drift?.
    The jets would dive, but keeping a constant pull to keep them diving, you might not get the depth you'd expect, and your at the lower end of the working speed range of the jets, but worth a try on the right days. IMHO You'd be better sticking with the bouncers and or inline weights, snap weights.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    The jets would dive, but keeping a constant pull to keep them diving, you might not get the depth you'd expect, and your at the lower end of the working speed range of the jets, but worth a try on the right days. IMHO You'd be better sticking with the bouncers and or inline weights, snap weights.
    That was my main concern with the jet while drifting. I was glad to hear it from someone else. I agree that keeping a steady enough speed to keep the jet down would probably be an issue.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.