Advice Advice Advice Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice

ilandem Guest

Default help

Could someone tell me what is a weight forward spinner i always see you guys talking about them. I'm new so sorry if thats a stupid question just don't know what they are. And jiginitis is there any species of fish you haven't fished for your posts are great thanks everybody. Mike
    Last edited by ilandem; 03-20-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the following website. It'll show you the legend of weight forwards, the Erie Dearie. There are many brands out there now, but I believe these guys started it all. They all look pretty much the same though.
    You just put a nice hunk of worm on the hook and start casting.

http://www.eriedearie.com/catalog/EliteSeries.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default weight forward spinners

You can also drift with weight forwards. Caught a lot of nice walleyes that way. Just want to make sure to use a heavy enough spinner that you can feel it occasionally bouncing bottom as you drift - then you know you're in the zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Carp

Mike, That's about it CARP! They are nasty to even look at & I pray I dont ever have to even touch one. I would use my pliers.

ilandem Guest

Default carp

Yeah i agree carp are pretty nasty lookin, hey i'm looking at buying a used boat and suggestion jiginitis as far as length and make my budget is 15,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiberglass/ Deep V w/ cuddy

Your budget allows you allot of choices. As far as size? It matters whether you trailer, how far, and where you fish mostly. I ask this because if you trailer long distances and fish for many species (great lakes & inland lakes) you have to weigh in the versatility factor. If its great lakes only? Then its a Deep V- Fiberglass only. Some of the better boats in your budget are Thompson, Grady White, Aquasport, Penn Yan, Black Fin, Mako, Pro line, and a few more. There are some to stay away from for Lake Erie- Bayliner, Renken, Larson. They are light boats and dont take the constant beating as well as others.

I would weigh it out. Is it a family or just fishing boat????? or both??? Will I stay overnight on it or trailer home/hotel???

Keep in mind when you buy a great lakes boat you are buying the hull, power pack, and trailer. Electronics will probably get upgraded anyway.

When buying a veratility boat. Ease of trailering, cost of trailering, cost of running. All these are addressed best with a Lund, or other top Aluminum boat.

Aluminum will get you out, but you will have to leave earlier then the fiberglass boats if the weather becomes inclement.

Size---20' minimun either/or type or make.

The better fiberglass boats I recommended have great hulls. I would not be concerned about what year the boat was built as much as the condition of the engine and wiring.

C Ya on the Water

P.S. I run a 1984 20' Center Console Aquasport w/ a 1994 200 HP Johnson. Works great, but I still get blown off the lake.

ilandem Guest

Default boat

Hey thanks for the advice i would definetly be trailering the boat fishing mostly on erie but would like to go to michigan and maybe ontario. I was really intrested in the lund on this sight the 2000 pro-vse but it just sold. Thanks jiginitis for advice if you know any good used boat sights let me know i'm willing to drive to get a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Kill a day

Sometimes visiting Marinas and looking at the stored boats offers opportunities for older fiberglass boats. Many folks try to sell them after they shrink wrap and store for winter.

FYI

C Ya on the Water