In line weights In line weights In line weights In line weights

Thread: In line weights

Default In line weights

I was reading a thread the other day discussing different in line weights for trolling. I can't seem to find it again. anyone familiar with it::

What did you want to know about running inline weights?
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default Inline weights

I was wondering about size of weight, how far ahead of lure or rig and which lures they are normally used with.

thanks in advance

The most common application is a 2 ounce weight connected to the main line with a swivel, then another swivel and 6' of mono to either a reef runner or crawler harness. The weight can also be connected with a rubber band to the main line and connected anywhere from 6' to as far as 50' ahead of the lure. You can use any amount of weight from 1 ounce to 6 ounces with the most common being between 1 and 3. Any time you use weights, speed will greatly affect the running depth of the lure and also create a lot of vertical movement in the water column as you turn and adjust speed. Hope this helps...

Greg

Like Greg mentions, except I have/use inlines from 1/4oz to 6 oz but mostly 1 and 2 oz. I use between a 5 to 6 ft leader, on spoon harnesses I run a 3 to 4 ft leader. Not only does speed affect the depth, what direction your trolling as the many currents out on erie cause depth changes on every style and type lure. If your trolling with, across, against the currents all play into your depth. And line type and dia. They are pretty easy to figure out, once you let one out and touch bottom with your hand on the spool lightly at trolling speed, you know your going to end up about 3 to 5 ft off bottom if you don't let any more line out. Depending on where in erie your going to fish, some basic line outs would be 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 85( if you can even let one out that far and not drag bottom). The walleye should start letting you know where they want the bait. This spring 18 to 22 out was our most productive. I usually run one at 10 ft behind the board way out side as it will take the biggest fish of the day after we start figuring out what colors, speed etc they want. It doesn't take alotof fish, but they are usually the biggest. Even in 45 f.o.w.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Thanks for the replies

just go up to the search in the top row and click on it. then type in inline weights, you will find alot of threads that has inline weights in them. hope this helps.
    sherman

I've had good luck with the tadpole divers from offshore tackle. They have published dive curves with the product and they are pretty cheap as well. You might take a look at those. It took the guessing out of it for us, they were easy to use behind inline planers.

Thanks for the replies