Threw in the towel Threw in the towel Threw in the towel Threw in the towel

Default Threw in the towel

Dad and I finally pulled the boat on Saturday. I moved the boat down to Huron 3 weeks ago and kept hoping for some good fall walleye fisihing like last year, but that never happened. This was our best year on Erie. We limited every trip in July, August, and September. We had 3 over 12 pounds and many, many over 9. I owe many thanks to those that have helped us learn programs and get the boat set up. First, a big thanks to Jim...skipper9...Thanks for the many ways you've helped us. Another big thanks to Bad Karma and Rsfrail for helping Dad and I get started on big boards. Thanks you to everybody that posts on here. Good luck fall fishermen!...hopefully the lake gets cleared up a bit.

Greg

Blog Entries

Default Damn it- boards

Now Greg, I need help getting my boards to run again...I went to the CISCO reels (Jim knows how to spend my money...) it changed my angle of tow line, so they track different, everytime I went out I broke the snubbers at the board from all the tourqin this year- so I went to a bungee system along bow rails that everyone uses, then they were too short so the 500lb tow line had no give to it at all, the waves were stripping all 6 lines at a time like a white bass school. I kept blaming it on the crew not setting the line and/or rubber bands in clips deep enough, till I looked back an noticed how tought the tow line was. You could play it like a guitar string, so I made longer bow rail bungies, and never got to try them do to running out of season---well next year.

If anyone reading has had problems with the lovely snubbers breaking, here is what I did, only because before they starting breaking my system ran fine. Take on appart and look whats inside of the sergical tubing... Its like a damn thread....why would the manufacture put such weak line in them, when they sell 150 to 500lb line to hook to?? SOOOO, I re-built the snubbers with a doubled up line of the 500lb specta inside of tubing, so when the snubbers bottom out the 2 lines of 500lb will GRAB! Now for the back up, I ran small saftey cable along the snubber, so if (!) they do break loose- the cable will then take the tension, saving your clips and patience to go through the pack of boats to retrieve you planner board AGAIN... Will give it a good test in spring- - To all.. get those boats readys, its gonna be a FAST winter

Somthin Fishy Too- ron
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

Blog Entries

Ron,

I also used the Cisco reels all summer with boards that are a little bigger than Jim's. I had no issues and I don't run snuber's. I'm using .060 weed trimmer line which absorbs all the shock in rough water. The down side to this is you have to be very careful when running the boards out so it doesn't pop off the spool. The cure to this was suggested by Jim I now run the boards out with both engines running. Once they are set to the correct distance I shut one down and start setting up the rod. I was informed to only use the blue .060 from Lowe's and no where else.

Kevin

Blog Entries

Default weed wacker line???

Damn Kev Dog, thought Id never hear from you again...
    Been through a couple of cell phones this season due to somethings...last time we talked we were looking for the LC 27's cause they discontinued them for seaso. I knew you wanted a couple, and thats what I run an added more rods to my set-up so I wanted 4 more. You said you were gonna get ahold of Gary, but I never heard back, so my impatient self went to the convector 30's so everything was the same....NOW the new 2013 LC27's are out!!! If you need any of the old 27's (sealilne or accudepth) pm me...I have 8 left!

P.S. Weed wacker line is for landscapers, not fisherman...lol (Capt. Concrete)
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

Blog Entries

Ron,

My supplier never did get back to me on the Diawa’s . Don’t knock the weed trimmer line we never had a single release this year due to waves. Some of that of course is due to the new Talora rods.

Kevin