trawl results trawl results trawl results trawl results

Thread: trawl results

Default trawl results

Has anyone heard of any trawl results yet .... Hoping we had a good spawn this year ...

Default game warden comments

I had a conversation with a local game warden Friday and we spoke about the walleye hatch for 2012. He said reports see a very good hatch but not outstanding. Very good is enough for me. With all the 9 to 16 inch walleye caught and released this season, this means to me that the population is good and the next few years look good as long as no new factors arise.
    All in all the hatch looks good. Have not spoke to anyone that has facts on the trawl survey.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Thanks for the info.... sounds like it's looking up

Default Latest on the data

In my discussions I have not been hearing quite so optimistic numbers for walleye as the other posters, and hearing perhaps better numbers for perch. I have had one on ones with a couple of the lake erie fisheries people and they told me pretty much what Sea Grant agent Tony Gabriel says below in his recent post on their discussion board. That's not the first time I have heard the ice cover theory link. Coming off one of the warmest summers on record, wonder what this winter will bring? Still early, but here is what is posted on Sea Grant as of now:

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1489.0.html

"We're still waiting on the basin wide estimates as well. Ontario is still completing their surveys. Ohio's August bottom trawls are only a portion, but those results were below average at two young of year walleyes per hectare. That's similar to the numbers seen in 2008, 2009, and 2011. For comparison, average is ~9 fish per hectare. An average hatch will usually contribute 10 million or so age-2 fish to the population, whereas the 2008 and 2009 hatches contributed between three and four million age-2 fish each.

So, not great news as of now although it could be worse. There's some data that long, cold winters with lots of ice cover can be a factor in a good hatch the following spring, and we had none of that this past winter. Folks were hopeful that the relatively calm spring would give them a boost, but apparently that wasn't enough to offset the many other variables that come in to play here.

I'll be interested to see how it all shakes out once the data comes in from the Ontario side."
    Last edited by LEfriend; 09-23-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Man I cant beleive this year wouldnt produce a great hatch. With the great weather we had this spring and lack of big blows for the most part, I figured it was gonna be a great hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Man I cant beleive this year wouldnt produce a great hatch. With the great weather we had this spring and lack of big blows for the most part, I figured it was gonna be a great hatch.
    I agree with you. This should have been a great year for the spawn. It sounds like the same BS we heard last year, you know, the hatch was supposed to be terrible yet bait netters said they were netting tons of young walleye and we were all catching lots of those small walleye last year. It seems to me that they could come up with a better way to estimate the hatch.

I heard the spawn was much more spread out this year giving gobies a better chance to eat the eggs of the spawners. Unlike other years when the spawn is more condensed and hatch around the same time giving the gobies less time to eat the eggs before hatching at around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
    I heard the spawn was much more spread out this year giving gobies a better chance to eat the eggs of the spawners. Unlike other years when the spawn is more condensed and hatch around the same time giving the gobies less time to eat the eggs before hatching at around the same time.
    Same here...heard that direct from a fisheries biologist. Just one more of many influencing factors