Hidden Gem on Catawba Island Hidden Gem on Catawba Island Hidden Gem on Catawba Island Hidden Gem on Catawba Island

Default Hidden Gem on Catawba Island

This being my first post, I want to thank everyone for all great little bits of wisdom I've gathered from this site over the past couple of years. I made an awesome discovery the other day that I just had to share. I'm from Castalia and we generally put in at Mazurik or Catawba Island. We usually stop in Bay View and get our shiners before we head over the bridge. We always felt we got the most bang for our buck there. A mention of Jeanette's Bait was made on this website and I had never heard of it. I have NEWS for those of you who put in at Catawba Island. If you get your bait anywhere other than Jeanette's you are missing out. It's a little off the beaten path but I'm wishing I had found this place years ago. I generally pay $2.50 ish for a scoop of minnows and figure AT LEAST one scoop per person. On my first visit to Jeanette's I found that she charged $1.50 a scoop and since there were three of us I asked for 3 scoops. She evidently did think I needed 3 scoops because she charged me $3.00 and I had more minnows than if I had paid for five or six scoops somewhere else. The three of us ended up with 80+ perch and we still had half the minnows left. I can't justify traveling to Catawba to get bait if we're putting in at Masurik but I won't get minnows anywhere else if we're going out of Catawba. I can't say enough good about my experience, the place is not fancy but if you're after shiners or perch rigs, this is the place. I'm done bragging out this place but I've got a couple other issues I'll address in future posts. Sorry I'm long winded but good luck to everyone this weekend.

Thanks for the info. Do you have an address for them?

its the 2nd rd to the left after you pass the state park heading to marblehead it only goes left she has a little white sign there go down only about 100yds on right

The actual address is: 4849 Weyhe Rd., Port Clinton, Ohio. I was concerned about trailering the boat off the main route but there is a large paved lot to park in and turn around in. I'll be stopping by there in the morning. Thinking about heading out Northwest of "F" Can or out around Rattlesnake somewhere.

welcome to the site and good first post.

Default Most minni's for ur $$

Iv'e been going to Jenetts for years when I ramp out of Catawaba. Definently the best place in our area to get minnows....if they don't have them then nobody does.

Made our 2nd trip to Jeanette's this morning, she is consistant. Asked for 2 scoops ($1.50 each) of shiners and got at least as many if I had bought 4 or 5 scoops ($2.50 each) anywhere else. I'm still impressed! That was the only good part of the day. Forecast said waves a foot or less; "WRONG!!!", not out of Catawba or Masurik.

Shhhhh, stop spreading this info around! I've been going to Jeanette's for many years and it seems as if the secret is out, I've been having a hard time finding a parking spot some mornings. This morning I got my usual 3 scoops which was more minnows than I could use in a week.

Mark66- nice surprise this morning huh. Waves 2' or less my ass!

I didn't bother checking out the lake b4 I got bait or b4 I was on the way down the channel. I ran SE of Kelleye's hoping the island would block some of the wind. It was a little calmer but still to rough to perch fish. My anchor kept pulling out becauseof the idiots running on full plane WAY to close to me and the other anchored boats. White perch were biting great when I could even tell I had a bite. After about an hour I gave up. I probably had more than 12 dozen minnows when I dumped them overboard.

Russ