Skipper nine rigs? Skipper nine rigs? Skipper nine rigs? Skipper nine rigs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skipper nine rigs?

I see a lot of references lately to a skipper nine rig for perch fishing. I'd like to try these rigs, compare to spreaders which I've used for many years. Can someone describe them, post a photo or link? Where can I buy them in the Port Clinton area?
    Thanks guys.

Skipper9 on this form makes them. He will send you one for free.

Skipper9 is a wealth of knowledge too. A year ago I knew nothing about fishing Lake Erie.
    Many walleye and perch have been on my dinner table thanks to him.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Here's a pic Skipper posted of his rig

Greg

Hey Jim, what kind of knots are those off of the main line? That's the only thing I need to know in order to make my own rigs now.

Great close up picture. It is much easier to see.

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    Hey Jim, what kind of knots are those off of the main line? That's the only thing I need to know in order to make my own rigs now.
    I had trouble with the knots until I tried it this way. I use 20 lb test mono so the knot strength isn't as important and the hooks stand out off the main line. 30 lb is pretty stiff and hard to work with. 25 might be better. With apologies to Capt Jim, here goes:

1) Tie a snap to the bottom of the line. I start with 30-36 inches.

2) Thread the line through one hook eye and slide hook down to lowest position you want it on the rig. Tie an overhand knot putting hook through loop. Wet knot, Pull both ends and knot will slide firm up against hook eye.

3) Slide your fingers back both leads about 2-3 inches or so from knot you just tied on hook. You should have the two strands you see in the picture together between your thumb and forefinger.

Tie another overhand knot, again putting hook through loop. Pull snug but not too tight or it will slide. Now you have the first hook sticking out sideways where you want it. You want the hook out 1.5 to about 2.5 inches off main line when finished. Need to play with a few to get the right hang of it.

4) Still on the first hook you just tied,with upper and lower leads together in left fingers, and using the stub sticking out, tie a second overhand knot with this knot right above the one you just tied. Wet the knot and pull on the bottom swivel and the top of the leader. The knot you just tied will slide against the previous knot and lock. You will have two overhand knots at junction of main line and stub sticking out. Now your knot will not go anywhere and your hook will stay out off the main line.

5) Thread top leader through eye of next hook and slide it down to second position. Repeat the above procedure to lock in second hook, just like the first.

6) Do the third hook and you are ready to put a loop or snap on top to finish. you are done.

I have found this method really easy to tie once you get the hang, and very fast. For me, it is easier than trying a bunch of traditional knots - especially with small hook eyes and 61 year old eyesight! I struggled tying these things, until I stumbled on this. It works well, they hold, and best of all, the hooks stay out and don't tangle like a crappie rig. Practice makes you better.

One variation. I just put two hooks on. The when fishing I use an inline sinker on bottom and fasten a snelled hook to bottom eye of the sinker. That gives me one hook still laying on bottom when my sinker is a bit off bottom. I can put on gold snelled, red snelled, snelled with bling, bigger or smaller, on bottom, depending on what they want that day. I have found the snelled hook catches most, middle tie second, and top hook tie least. But all three catch fish and any one might be the hot one on certain day.

Sure Captain Jim has his own way, but this works for me! I hardly ever use a spreader anymore.
    Last edited by LEfriend; 08-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks for the detail! I will attempt it now!

Idea! what if someone video taped making one of them, sent it to you tube and then posted a link to it? Might be a fun thing to watch during the down time when we can't get to the lake.
    - Greg
    27' Sportcraft Fisherman Softop
    Wild Wings Marina
    "Life is too short to worry - about anything"