Trolling Question Trolling Question Trolling Question Trolling Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Question

I am coming up this weekend and would like to troll for some eyes and do some perch fishing. I have not trolled on erie yet. I have small inline planner boards and downriggers. Can I run the 40 jets behind the planner boards? Was planning on using spoons and reef runners and j7s. Any other tips would be helpful. Has anyone heard of anyone catching smallmouths around the reefs yet?

Post Thanks / Like

The jets will pull the boards under the water. Using 2 oz in-line weights 40 back for spoons and adjust for depth as needed. Reefrunners canbe pulled behind the boards no problem. That is a good start. Unless you plan on fishing East of the Islands, leave the downriggers at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indyfisher View Post
    I am coming up this weekend and would like to troll for some eyes and do some perch fishing. I have not trolled on erie yet. I have small inline planner boards and downriggers. Can I run the 40 jets behind the planner boards? Was planning on using spoons and reef runners and j7s. Any other tips would be helpful. Has anyone heard of anyone catching smallmouths around the reefs yet?
    I have been using jet 40's behind my churches walleye boards as well as my tx 22 church boards for over 5 years. They have never been pulled under the water unless a large fish such as a sheep, catfish or walleye took the lure. I have pulled J-7 & J-9, spoons and harnesses with no problems. This year I switched to the tru-trip 40 deep divers (they look like and dive like a regular jet with a trip device) and they pull even harder than a jet and I have not had any issues pulling them with my inline church boards and lures mentioned earlier. I cannot talk about the offshore brand of inline boards because I have never used them. I have ran this combo as fast as 2.8 GPS speed with no issues. There are 2 members on this site that can verify my statement as they have fished with me while using the church inline boards with the tru-trip 40 deep divers.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I have been using jet 40's behind my churches walleye boards as well as my tx 22 church boards for over 5 years. They have never been pulled under the water unless a large fish such as a sheep, catfish or walleye took the lure. I have pulled J-7 & J-9, spoons and harnesses with no problems. This year I switched to the tru-trip 40 deep divers (they look like and dive like a regular jet with a trip device) and they pull even harder than a jet and I have not had any issues pulling them with my inline church boards and lures mentioned earlier. I cannot talk about the offshore brand of inline boards because I have never used them. I have ran this combo as fast as 2.8 GPS speed with no issues. There are 2 members on this site that can verify my statement as they have fished with me while using the church inline boards with the tru-trip 40 deep divers.
    wakina is correct true trips will pull just fine behind churches walleye boards doesnt come close to pulling them under

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running jets for years behind offshore boards, no problems, even with a 2 or 3 oz weight infront of a 40 jet to get added depth. I have my own set up for releases on the jets. Along with quite a few articles I have written and posted on this site, they have not gotten all of the articles posted, not sure why...maybe because I'm no longer a member, but hey I was a member for a very long time and they requested articles......anyways, hope this helps
    http://www.dwfonline.org/Articles/jet_diver_release.htm
    Last edited by ebijack; 08-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    I've been running jets for years behind offshore boards, no problems, even with a 2 or 3 oz weight infront of a 40 jet to get added depth. I have my own set up for releases on the jets. Along with quite a few articles I have written and posted on this site, they have not gotten all of the articles posted, not sure why...maybe because I'm no longer a member, but hey I was a member for a very long time and they requested articles......anyways, hope this helps
    http://www.dwfonline.org/Articles/jet_diver_release.htm
    I also run jets behind my church boards with no problems.

I really like your setup, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for posting your information Ebijack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I really like your setup, I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks, if you have any questions or need more photos just ask
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.