Boat overturned at a- can? Boat overturned at a- can? Boat overturned at a- can? Boat overturned at a- can?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Boat overturned at a- can?

Happy hooker posted on there site that a boat turned over at a-can yesterday? Anybody know what happened? Sounded like the boat got swamped with waves. They said the fisherman were ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it was around a 20' aluminum boat that was trolling and took a wave over the side causing it to capsize. My buddy picked up a few of their items that were floating. The boat ended up sinking but all passengers were rescued.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the water that rough ? Id like to hear the scenario so it doesn't happen to me.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It was my boat a 22.5 foot trophy bayliner, we did not take a wave, we were trolling and we took water on very fast from the floor. After checking the boat yesterday at south shore salvage we found a crack in the transom around 1/4 to 1/2 and around 4 ft long. So that explains why we took water on so fast. I want to thank everyone that may of picked up any of my items that I lost. If you have anything please drop it off at turtle creek office. A frind of mine camps there and will get them for me. ( Misty Jane) thanks to the 3 guy's from Indiana that picked us up. I stopped and visited with them last night before they were heading back.

thank you
    Scott J. Stant

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're okay.

Stay safe!

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great deeds

Glad to hear everyone got out safe. A big thanks to the fella's in the area that stepped up when needed. No good deeds will go unturned.Your welcome to fish erie anytime !!! Again, glad all turned out positively. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad you are OK!

Sorry about your boat.

Glad you are OK!

And kudos to the people that helped you!

Just wondering if you can tell what caused the crack?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you and your crew are OK. Let us know if you find out anything about that crack.

Post Thanks / Like

great to hear everybody got out safe. sorry to hear about the boat.

me and some friends almost had the same thing happen to us. my friend was towing his 18 ft alum starcraft, and some guy run a stop sign, and he hit him. the boat slammed forward hitting the back of his van. but the only damage was a dent in one side of the front of the boat. it looked good. we went to erie and started to drift. i climbed out on the bow and started to fish. my friend said get back in the boat. i looked and water was already up in the floor. we started the motor but the pullies and belts were down in the water and threw water on the distributor and killed the engine. we had the sump pump running and one guy on the 5 gallon bucket. another guy was using a couple of the big pop bottles. i got the distributor dried out and we had the water down alittle so we started the engine again. it wouldnt plane off but it did lift the front of the boat alittle. on the way in we finelly caught up enough that we planed off. then when we got in and slowed down the water was pouring in again. we got the boat on the trailer. we started looking to see where the water was coming in. there was a big crack on both sides of the boat in the front just below the water line when sitting in the water.

the wreck had caused the metal to stress but not crack. then on the ride out in the choppy water had caused the metal to crack. we had about a 2' crack on both sides.

all i can say is thank god for 5 gallon buckets
    sherman