6-6 through 6-8 report 6-6 through 6-8 report 6-6 through 6-8 report 6-6 through 6-8 report
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6-6 through 6-8 report

Fished southwest off kelly's (in area of red can)
    5:30AM- 10:30 AM best bite
    54 walleye, 20-23 av. #3 27'' and larger (3 MAN LIMIT could of got more)
    6 perch
    3 channel cats
    10 white bass
    3 white perch
    over 100 sheephead
    5/8 ounce gold erie dearies drifted in 24-27 foot deep
    6-6 2 foot waves
    6-7 2 foot waves
    6-8 2-4 foot waves (limited early)

Cloud9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrazy View Post
    Fished southwest off kelly's (in area of red can)
    5:30AM- 10:30 AM best bite
    We fished this area 6/7, however, the times were much later. We fished from 4:00PM to 5:00PM, then moved north to Middle Island/Gull Shoal, coming back to West of Kelly's around 8:30-10:00PM.

We did not share the same luck as you. We used BB's w/ worm harnesses, mainly gold blades w/ purple/red beads. Also used a green floating jig, lyndy rigged. Plenty of sheep heads w/ that setup.

How did you fish the erie diere? With a crawler? How much line did you let out? How quickly did you drift (wind speed)? At what height do the erie dieres run?

Hope that isnt too many questions. These forums are great. I apperciate any help you may be able to give. We are new to fishing Lake Erie and seeking my first walleye!

brahma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
    We fished this area 6/7, however, the times were much later. We fished from 4:00PM to 5:00PM, then moved north to Middle Island/Gull Shoal, coming back to West of Kelly's around 8:30-10:00PM.

We did not share the same luck as you. We used BB's w/ worm harnesses, mainly gold blades w/ purple/red beads. Also used a green floating jig, lyndy rigged. Plenty of sheep heads w/ that setup.

How did you fish the erie diere? With a crawler? How much line did you let out? How quickly did you drift (wind speed)? At what height do the erie dieres run?

Hope that isnt too many questions. These forums are great. I apperciate any help you may be able to give. We are new to fishing Lake Erie and seeking my first walleye!
    Fish the north side of middle if you can in 24-28 fow
    This weekend I did the mwt tournamentn(first time I fished Erie)
    Wed. (pre-fish) 62# in 2 man limit 2 hours threw back about 45-50 5# fish
    Thurs (pre-fish) 78# in 2 man limit 3.5 hours threw back 35 fish
    Fri. Day 1 1/9.11 rest 6.5 and larger threw back 60-70 5# fish
    sat day 2 All I could do is get 5-6 pounders culled 95-100 5# and smaller
    went through 28 doz. crawlers in 4 days.
    speed .9-1.2
    color Gold blades with red stripe (raspberry something)
    2 oz. bb 38 back on small boards was the magic ##
    Erie Is walleye HEAVEN!!!!

Cloud9 Guest

Thanks for the response brahma!

A few questions if you dont mind...yes, they are probably stupid questions, but what I have been doing has not been succesful and seek help.

Do you use a full crawler on your worm harness? Do you place a crawler on both hooks (as mine are configured)? Is there any preference as to how to hook the crawler (thru nose along body, once thru mid point, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by brahma View Post
    2 oz. bb 38 back on small boards was the magic ##
    Erie Is walleye HEAVEN!!!!
    Not certain what the bold portion of the above quote means. Could you please explain? It was the magic # so I would think its important!

Thanks again.

brahma Guest

I make my own harness 2 hook about 4 inches apart one hook through the nose (WHOLE CRAWLER)and other through down about 3/4 in the body let the crawler relax a sec. so you keep it pretty straight. My harness length was about 40" I used 2 oz. bottom bouncers 38 feet of line out then clipped on my smalll churchs tx12 boards then let them out to the side another 66 feet. The size of blades are #8 great big thumpers. trolled them at .9-1.2 mph

cloud9 we fished the erie dearies 1-4 foot off the bottom at 1-1.3mph with crawlers, if the crawlers are really large use about 3/4 of it. Thread the worm up the hook and leave about a inch and a half beyond the hook cast out about 70 feet then release another 8 feet of line let it find the bottom and just pull it every so often to feel the blades turn.
    hope this helps also get out at 5:30 am all the big ones were caught early

Cloud9 Guest

cloud9 we fished the erie dearies 1-4 foot off the bottom at 1-1.3mph with crawlers, if the crawlers are really large use about 3/4 of it. Thread the worm up the hook and leave about a inch and a half beyond the hook cast out about 70 feet then release another 8 feet of line let it find the bottom and just pull it every so often to feel the blades turn.
    hope this helps also get out at 5:30 am all the big ones were caught early
    eyecrazy, Thanks! That was a big help. I've read that walleye's are nocturnal fish, so I figured night fishing would have some success as well, but its much more difficult.

Reading this makes me want to go out and try this technique tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, work gets in the way of that idea.

How do you determine your location in the morning? Generally, I use the other boats as guides to determine where the best fishing is on the lake at the time, however, at that point, I've already most likely missed all of the excitement. Now that the weather is getting warm,scratch that....HOT, does that change your initial casting location?

Again, thanks for the post. You're helping out a newcomer.

If your unsure of were to fish read the fishing report at a bait shop it is generally true and then look for a big cluster of boats and get in the mix with them, however on 6-7 I fished about 2 miles away from the clusters and limited out in 1 hour. If you want I will post a couple GPS spots were I started in the morning and times. but these spots are pending a south-south western wind and the fish will soon be heading East.

Cloud9 Guest

If you want I will post a couple GPS spots were I started in the morning and times. but these spots are pending a south-south western wind and the fish will soon be heading East.
    Please.

What are the reasons the walleye tend to move east through June/warmer weather? I do not believe the water becomes that much deeper, however, I could be mistaken. Just wondering the rationale to better understand their characteristics.

Hope this isnt gettng to repetitive...thanks again.

Cloud9
    Your better off reading books about walleye migration to find out why they move East rather than asking me However as i promised
    5:30am-10:30am
    (1)N 41 36.601' (2) N 41 36.869
    W 082 44.900' W 082 44.376
    Drift spot(1) - (2) stop about a quarter mile past (2) then motor back to (1)
    2:00- 4:00 pm
    (3) N 41 36.038' (4) N 41 36.120'
    W 082 44.836' W 082 44.688'
    drift from 3-4 same as above
    let me know how you do