A little help please (trolling) A little help please (trolling) A little help please (trolling) A little help please (trolling)

Default A little help please (trolling)

I have not had much luck trolling crank baits. I fish out of Bolles Horbor. I have tried running reef runners and have not had much luck. i change the depth, and have run them long line and planner board. I normally end up switching to running two bottom bouncers with harnesses and crawlers and then longlining some reef runners. When I do this I only pick up fish on the bottom bouncers. At a ratio of 6 to one for trash fish caught to walleye.
    I have never been skunked but Iwould like to catch more walleye. i know some guys do very well. Is anyone willing to share thier info. If ish out of bolles harbor and have fished the dumping ground right out from Bolles. Turtle Island, Breast Bay, Stoney point, and the Michigan /Ohio boundary. All have produced fish but an a limit or two would be nice once and a while.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

The Wizard Guest

One of the most important thing to do is make sure your crank is tuned to run straight to optimise its action.I keep my speed from 1.5 to 2.0mph.The dive charts are useally set with a running speed of 2 mph.so you need to compensate if your going slower.keep baits above the fish.In the central basin i have marked fish coming up from 10-15 feet to hit a bait.just keep experimenting.Hope this helps,good luck.

Crank baits are my favorite trolling method. My boat is set up with 4 downriggers. I will flatline 2-4 crankbaits too and they frequently outfish the riggers. Remember when you use walleye boards, they act like a shock absorber and your baits won't dig quite as deep. Same holds true with mono or a limber rod. You gain max depth using a super braid and a stoudt rod. The larger diameter the line, the more drag and less depth acheived. Down Deep Husky Jerks, Jointed Shad Raps #5-#7, Deep Reef Runners, Deep tail Dancers (30ft) to name my favorite. I ALWAYS have crankbaits in the water. The Wizard is right about the fish feeding up. When it's on, It's on!

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

If you are fishing out of Bolles that tells me that the water you are running is not all that deep.If you do not have a Precision Trolling book BUY one.You may be running the cranks too deep.

Default how deep

Ok so at bolles in 25fow and I mark fish at 15ft I should troll at 10 to 13 ft?
    Or in 17 to 15fow water 10 ft would be good?

Thanks again I'll get them dialed in sonner or later.

Get line counters so you know how much line you have out and when you pick up a fish, go back to that depth. Stick with what works. If you are marking at 15, troll them at 14-15. But how do you know you are in the zone? Rebel is 100% right. Get the precision guide to trolling. It is priceless. You should have fish in a 3-4 foot column of water. Do long slow s turns. It drives them crazy! Pick up a rod every once in a while and pull forward and let it slide back slow. You will pick up fish in the turn and after the drop back.

Default reply

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a copy of the trolling guide at Gander Mountain the other day. So I will put all the advice to work asap.
    Thanks again.

Manxfishing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mitch4570 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a copy of the trolling guide at Gander Mountain the other day. So I will put all the advice to work asap.
    Thanks again.
    25' of water
    I'd start out with one in the middle and one low
    Color's that have worked for me are
    Wild thing works most of the time and Erie and Grey ghost have been doing well.
    Perch was the color early this year, now days I can't catch a thing on it

If your trolling reef runners (800's)
    One should be 30-35 back and another 60-65 back
    I like to go 2-3' higher then I'm marking them

Remember
    Fish will rise for a lure
    They will not go lower (they can't see below)

1) Make sure the lure is tuned to run straight.
    2) Troll with the wind to your back for boat controll.
    3) The dive curves are for 10# Mono, use it!
    It's cheap. It works and it has strech that helps in the hook ups
    4.) Use only a snap (NO SWIVEL) You get a better action on the lure
    5.) And try something different if what your trolling isn't working (depth or color)
    6.) And if your not marking fish, move
    You can't catch fish if there not there

Speed should be 1.6 to 2.0 right now
    Last edited by Manxfishing; 06-07-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Great method MANX. It is deadly. Here is another you can try. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJN4oiclHyM It is another deadly way to dredge up monster walleye.